Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burgundy plum

Posted by Itheweatherman USDA 8b, Elevation 2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 0:25

I picked a burgundy plum today. It was crunchy and sweet but not as sweet as a satsuma plum. If you want it as a pollinizer for sweet treat pluerry go ahead and buy it, but if you want it to eat them as a fresh fruit, don't plant one, plant a pluot instead--pluots are way better than a burgundy plum. If I had to rate this plum for its flavor, I would give it a "C+".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burgundy plum

thanks for the heads up but give the tree a few years then let us know again what you think. Fruit characteristics can change from a young to an older tree.

o

I...I agree totally with your rating. Mine has been a consistent bearer of "fair" quality fruit. It just so happens this year that my tree is not bearing well because of screwy Spring weather. I like my Santa Rosa better...and love my Satsuma!

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 11:11

It is still pretty early yet for burgundy in my locale. They are now starting to color up, heck I just bird blocked the tree last week. You have to let burgundy hold to really appreciate it. After time they take on cherry, and plum wine tones.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 12:39

Burgundy is a month or two away from being ripe. It's blood red inside when fully ripe. I'm surprised you could choke it down. If you want to rate fruit why not let it get ripe first? I don't know any fruit that's good green.

o

It had the texture of an unripe Flavor king pluot but dry as a store bought plum. The reason that I gave it a C+ is because I really don’t like plums that much, I prefer pluots instead. Next year I will leave them on the tree until they are ripe, if they taste as good as a pluot it will be a keeper. On the other hand, if they don't, I will graft my own proprietary varieties on all of the branches and I will leave one to pollinate my sweet treat pluerries.

o

F...you did not address your opinion on the taste of Burgundy compared to other plums. I have noticed they do ripen slowly after coloring up, as well. However, I just find them bland....especially compared to my Satsuma's.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 10:29

fireduck:

When ripe they are good, not great. I'll probably take mine out as some of the pluots are better. I've got enough pluots that I don't need anything else for pollination.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 11:19

I appear to be the biggest fan of Burgundy here. It's a rock solid proven performer for me, bears heavily every year, with fragrant and plentiful blossoms. Since my goal is successive ripening through out the year, holding ability is a key factor, and Burgundy holds very well. The taste gets better, richer and more cherry/plum wine like the longer it holds. Don't be afraid to let some hold until they drop and you will be rewarded. Also, if your tree is still pretty young, you can't really judge the quality yet.

o

Ditto Mr Clint!

o

Thanks for the info mr clint! Sounds good to me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here