Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Previous owner planted same variety apple trees.

Posted by Sunbaker Arizona (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 0:41

I need to figure out what pollinator to use. They are forming fruits, but not many. I suspect they may drop. All I know is when they bloom, which is in early May. They both bloomed at the same time, and both have immature fruits that look identical. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Previous owner planted same variety apple trees.

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 0:56

If they have immature fruits, that is a good sign.

o

Do you know for sure that they are the same variety? Blooming at the same time is not a clear indicator. Many apple fruitlets look the same to me.

Even if your apple trees are the same variety, it's not quite hopeless yet. If there are crab apples or other apple trees in your neighborhood, those will cross pollinate your apple trees with the help of pollinators (bees and insects).

o

Graft on a few new varieties, its not hard and cheap insurance. Find out someone local with a variety of trees and in the late winter, ask if you can harvest some scion wood

o

My apples are just getting old enough to consistently bloom. I won't likely keep records until next spring. But you need an apple variety that blooms at the same time. A crab apple is an excellent pollinator due to their extended bloom period of weeks. I'm just not sure what crabapple would be a good choice FOR YOUR AREA? Hopefully if two were planted by the prior owner, they are known cross pollinators.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 12:59

Or wait a few weeks. If the apples are still there you obviously have pollinators and pollenizers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here