Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do I have under the plum bark, it's killing off some...

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 0:41

Branches

Dead tissue, I lifted off some bark...see these little black round things, about the size of a needle head, are these eggs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do I have under the plum bark, it's killing off some...

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 9:02

My guess would be winter injury. After injury like that it's a buffet for lots of critters that won't attack an uninjured tree.

o

I have to agree with fruitnut. When did you notice it? If you weren't already aware, Pruning your tree may help the situation solve itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Pruning

o

Thank you all!

Hm...good point! This is of a young tree,..say about 6 years old,
about 4foot up I cut the center off when I noticed the top was dieing and a side branch. Another tree, lots older, about 35 years old I've been cutting off side branches,..several over the last 5 years or so and for some reason I believed some critter was doing damage under the bark.

o

Looks like Ash borer eggs 2013 damage They lay eggs in crack bark no hole boring. They came to USA from Russia in pallet wood in 2002 discovered. Wood transfer may happen to your area. Any borer spread if trees cut near by half mile around farm should come up with source borers.

o

What happens when you squish them?

o

THEY MAKE A SQUISHING SOUND ;)

o

I didn't squish...do next time when I find,... thank you all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here