Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newly planted blueberry question

Posted by MeanNgreen 8b myrtle beach (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 0:50

Hello
I planted some already fruiting rabbiteye bushes. Have about 40 unripe and a few ripe. Should I keep them on or prune them off so bush can focus on rooting well? Or does it even matter
Ok thanks! I'm gonna repost with pictures.

This post was edited by MeanNgreen on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 8:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newly planted blueberry question

I usually pinch the blooms on mine, so the plant can put more energy into growth the first couple of years. Once they have fruited, I don't know if its too late or not?? I am sure someone more qualified can answer!

o

1st year to me plants, regardless on how old they are, I like to pinch 100% of the flowers off the 1st season to allow proper root establishment.

o

Do you know how old the bushes are? 40 berries per plant, or 40 in total across several plants?

If the plants are an older, larger plants, and the roots remained largely intact when transplanting, it may be ok to leave the berries on.

If it is a smaller/younger plant, and/or the roots were pruned or highly disturbed, perhaps you should consider removing some of the unripe berries. A few berries likely won't make a significant difference, but if there was much stress involved in transplanting, then its probably safer to minimize additional energy being directed into reproduction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here