Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
poor fruit set on 'Glenora' grape

Posted by kokopelli5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 0:59

Any thoughts on why my fruit set would be so bad? bunches were plenty, but with poor fruit set.

1. Vine is very happy--grows vigorously.

2. Vine is mature--7 years or so, and a full crop two years ago (freeze-out last year).

3. Grapes not really popular around here--I doubt there are serious pests. At least I don't notice any.

4. Fairly conservative with the fertilizer--kind of a light spadefull of cottonseed meal every year.

5. Modest pruning. pruned the vine back to six feet or so

6. No strange weather whatsoever during bloom. (if you could call what grapes do a bloom).

Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: poor fruit set on 'Glenora' grape

I am not sure what you mean by fruit set. Do you mean the clusters are there but they are oddly shaped or few berries within the clusters? Some images would help. FYI - grapes do bloom. They follow the same pattern as other fruits. You may have disease, which is a factor of climate and not a factor of how many vines are locally found.

Many pests are equal opportunity feeders and can ruin many plants. One such possible is the Rose Chafer. Are you in the midwest? I am not familiar with this pest myself but its supposed to be found in the midwest and affects a number of plants. Its one example of the fact that you dont need mass grape vine plantings to have pests.

If possible, an image would help.

Dan

o
RE: poor fruit set on 'Glenora' grape

How about the pollinating insects in your area. Bees, wasps etc. They are great pollinators, but some areas are having major bee collapses. This is only one thing that can lead to poor fruit set on grapes. If that is a problem try using a feather duster, lightly dust over the flowers, job done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here