Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
harvest advice for dwarf fruit trees

Posted by dan_nz_gardener none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 1:03

hi all

I have just bought 3 dwarf fruit trees that only grow to 1 to 1.5 metres high that are about 800mm tall already. They are dormant at the moment as we are in mid winter but i read that its best to wait 3 or so years before letting fruit trees set fruit to avoid them fruiting one year then not the next when they are mature. Will i have to do this with these wee fruit trees or will it be ok to let them fruit?

Cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: harvest advice for dwarf fruit trees

Personally, I don't know that early fruiting has anything to do with alternate bearing in future years (but that doesn't mean I'm right!). But for young trees, allowing them to have a significant crop will slow down their establishment by delaying vegetative growth. It can also cause thin young branches to droop and distort the shape unless you support them. At that size, you probably would be better off removing all of the buds for the first season or two.

o

I believe that they advise this to promote growth of the tree, rather then putting energy into fruit production.

My Honeygold is maybe 5 feet tall, and looks like it has about a dozen fertilized blooms. Im going to take them all out, except one or 2, just because Im curious as to how they taste.

Im pretty sure that most fruit trees are biennial bearers anyways, and dont need a hand in achieving that.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 1:32

"Im pretty sure that most fruit trees are biennial bearers anyways, and dont need a hand in achieving that."

Actually it's mostly pome fruits you have to worry about, and of those, apples seem to be the most problematic.

I suppose it's possible to induce alternate bearing in some stone fruits (although I've never witnessed it).

Alternate bearing is a bigger issue in colder climates where the growing season is shorter.

In longer growing seasons, trees have longer to recover and build energy stores, so alternate bearing isn't as common (except with some unmanaged apple trees and nuts).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here