Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting moorpark apricots

Posted by Itheweatherman USDA 8b, Elevation 2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 1:04

I'm harvesting moorpark apricots today.
I made some apricot jelly today. I'll be making some apricot preserves and drying a few pounds this week.

Any more recipes that you would like share with me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting moorpark apricots

Here's my apricot tree.

o

Are many of those under ripe, or is that how Moorpark apricots look when fully ripened? Also, where are you located (I'm wondering about ripening times in different places.

Thanks for the pics.

o

Weatherman! I have never seen so many apricots on one tree. Fantastic! Stick to the jam making its easier than jelly. Make tarts. Mrs. G

o

"Are many of those under ripe, or is that how Moorpark apricots look when fully ripened? Also, where are you located (I'm wondering about ripening times in different places."

Yes, they are under ripe. I picked them (under ripe) because I wanted the jelly to taste a little bit tart and acidic.

I'm located in Adelanto, California (California High desert area).

"Weatherman! I have never seen so many apricots on one tree. Fantastic! Stick to the jam making its easier than jelly."

Moorpark apricot is a heavy producer, it needs more than 900 chill hours in order for the flower buds to break dormancy. It starts blooming around early march. Flowers may tolerate temps above 33F. Young fruits tolerate temps above 36F. They also tolerate 35+mph winds--they won't drop, however, if the tree is not watered during windy days they will dry out and then drop. Here where I live we get about 900-1500 chill hours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here