Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rootstock Plums? Low Chill (SoCal)

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 1:10

I was wondering if anyone had photos of plums that grew from rootstock? (not grafted plums on a rootstock)

I am beginning to suspect that at least one maybe two of the old plum trees we have are actually root suckers.

I have new Mariposa and a grafted plum/peach test tree with a variety of scions that took. The two suspect trees are done for the season, first is a small yellow/yellow (blooms white) that ripens late May/Early June-this one seems to root pits like mad-I have to pull baby seedlings out regularly. Second might be a methley, but am thinking it is likely rootstock. Blooms white is red/red for the fruit (Red outside/red inside) And it seems to spread by rootsuckers and is also pretty much done for the season

Both have much smaller fruit (1-1.5") no matter the water.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rootstock Plums? Low Chill (SoCal)

• Posted by campv arizona (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 15:16

The red /red could be a Satsuma don't know about the other. I have a Satsuma(very burgundy colored meat) and the description sounds about right.

o
RE: Rootstock Plums? Low Chill (SoCal)

Campv

I would have guesses Satsuma too, but I am pretty sure it is off a root sucker and from what I have read, it is too early for a satsuma season to be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here