Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crickets destroying my apple tree!

Posted by aliaub 9B (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 1:30

Hi All,

Sorry if there is a posting similar to this, I tried searching but couldn't find anything...

I have a newly planted Anna apple (bareroot planted in January). It has been healthy and has looked great until about a month ago. The leaves started to get eaten by something. I sprayed it with a Neem oil solution several times to help. It has looked a little better until the last week. It is literally being eaten to shreds! I have been checking the tree several times a day looking for the culprit. Nothing. Tonight I decided to take a flashlight out to look at night and there is literally hundreds of crickets on the tree! They are eating away all the nearly dead leaves. I have a total of 9 new fruit trees in the same area but this is the only tree getting attacked. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, is there a good organic way to kill these things and revive my poor tree? I am getting diatomaceous earth next week to help kill them around the outside areas we have found them but I don't know how to keep them off the tree in the meantime...

Thank you so much for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crickets destroying my apple tree!

An effective method for keeping insects out of trees is applying Tanglefoot. Something that comes up regularly to protect your tree from this product is to apply a couple of inches of tape underneath the Tanglefoot.

Good luck.

o

• Posted by aliaub Gilbert, AZ (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 10:40

Thank you! I just searched Tanglefoot and it looks perfect! Thank you so much for taking the time to jelp me. hoping my little tree can still be saved!

o

I'd Spinosad that tree just before sundown, then check out the carnage in the morning.

o

Just ordered some Spinosad, serge. I'm going to use both! Hoping the Spinosad can help with my tomatoes and peppers which I found out last night they were also destroying! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here