Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nectarine Pros- Brown Rot? Oy vey!

Posted by tmunson California (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 1:35

If any of the pros can let me know what this is, it would be greatly appreciated. It basically wrecked shop on one of my nectarine trees, destroying almost the entire fruit set before they were ripe. Some, when picked just starting to go soft, would grow a huge patch of this moldy fuzz quite literally overnight. Never had this problem before, but we had a late heavy rain this year, about two weeks ago, and I'm wondering if that's what did it? The peaches don't seem to be affected, and so far my later nectarines look OK as well.

THANKS SO MUCH!

The fruit pictured below went from visibly perfect to this, overnight! And it wasn't even fully ripe!

photo IMG_5209_zpscd52b9a1.jpg

photo IMG_5208_zps11233c43.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nectarine Pros- Brown Rot? Oy vey!

Yep, brown rot.

o

Nectarines are extremely prone to brown rot- probably the main reason peaches rule in the east.

Wet spring in CA? You by the beach or inland?

o

Was that with or without an anti-fungal spray?
I've experienced that with peaches and multiple rainy days before harvest - I feel your pain!

o

May not be too late to spray the rest.

o

I'm inland. That's without anti-fungal spray. We had 90 degree weather followed by a day of torrential rain, followed by 90+ degree weather, I think it was the first week of June. I'm guessing that's what did it, never had a brown rot issue before. So very frustrating! Is anti fungal spray worth using?

Thanks for the help, gang!

o

The sterol inhibitors have serious kick-back and can rescue fruit not yet ruined. The only SI I know of available to home growers is Monterey Fungus Fighter. I use Indar but it comes in big jugs that can treat acres and acres and runs around $300.

o

Kick-back in a good way? I'll find some. Thanks!

o

The active ingredient is propiconazole, which is also available to home growers as Infuse concentrate, which isn't the same as the Infuse lawn product, thiophanate-methyl.

o

Spray with Fungi Fighter at the first sign of Brown rot. It will usually do a pretty good job of stopping it in its tracks. I usually give a spray about a month before the fruit ripens as a preventative.

o

Do any of the big box stores carry Monterey FF?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here