Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchard pictures...

Posted by konrad___far_north 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 2:18

Just for sharing......from this evening.
Cedar Waxwings are eating flower pedals,....not sure if they are thinning the tree, probably not because I only see pedals go.

June 8, 09

June 7, 09

Konrad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchard pictures...

Konrad,
Beautiful bird and nice pics. However flocks of 30 or more completely strip the small green fruits on my plums and other trees. I am amazed at the size of the green plum they can eat. I suggest you watch them closely. I do not think you will like what you see. They also like to stay in small flocks of about 30 but can number up to a hundred. I have to scare them off daily. Cotton twine strung 20 feet up over your young trees may help.
Bberry

o

nice pictures. cedar waxwings are pretty birds but they do like to take their share.

o

Wow... You guys area really behind up there!!! or maybe your not? Pretty birds, but birds are probably one of the biggest pests around here. I'd get a pack of wild dogs/cats to chase and eat them.

o

Nice looking orchard. Wow, your apples bloom pretty late up there. Most of our apples here are done blooming, although a very few very late bloomers are still doing their thing. We're about 2-3 weeks away from the first Summer apples down here.

o

Konrad-
Is it ok to say...? I have orchard envy. Nice work!
-Glenn

o

You de man! Konrad, you de man! Wow! you have a beautiful Orchard, keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

o

Thank you all!...and all your encouragement!

Bberry,
I know....it could get to be a problem with large flocks, here, the numbers are around 15 or
so the last several years and haven't bee a big problem yet. They also eat green cherries.
We had a late spring...perhaps about 2 weeks late, I rather see it late then heaving a heavy frost when leafed out,
still, it seems several pear trees look like died from a frost about 2 weeks ago.
Axel, it's nice to have it spread out longer in your zone, here, everything comes at one's, but when it comes, it's a very
intense short growing season, helping along with our long daylight.....but soooon it's over!

June 7, 09

It's very dry again, I don't think we had 1" rain since snow left 2 month ago, have never cut grass yet, some dandelion came
up and the grass is stalling.

June 9, 09

June 7, 09

A bit of sun ray striking the orchard
June 7, 09

The Evans Cherries looking good again after one year resting, they are flowering now.
June 9, 09

Konrad

o

Just a update,.. the Evans Cherries are ripening....

Aug. 11, 09
Aug. 13, 09

A pair of Cedar Waxwings had a nest..
July 25, 09
July 31, 09
July 31, 09

Konrad

o

Wow Konrad. Great pictures. Truly professional looking. I especially like the one of the mother bird giving the little ones one of your berries! I take it photography is one of your other hobbies? Have you ever tried entering any of these pics into a photo contest? Again, great orchard pics.
-Glenn

o

Gorgeous pictures. Handsome photo subject those Cedar Waxwings. Good thing they're not a problem for you.

o

Beautiful pictures

o

Konrad
You are Master with the fruit trees and the birds pictures in a bitter cold zone. Great work with both (& may be with many other works).
I am not sure how I missed this thread when started!

o

Thank you all!

Glenn, Yes, ...think I have too many hobbies, ... guess better then none.
I have entered some photos in the Picture Of The Day [P-O-T-D], they don't give out prices,
think I have landed one for best of the month.

Juniorpilot...I would think you're a pilot, wow, you get the bird's eye View,... good for you!
I haven't had problems with birds so much, one year, Mc Pies cleaned up a couple of cherry trees.
Moose is my worst enemy in winter, in summer, I have mostly deer, they prune back the branches a bit but at least
they don't make much damage. Yesterday the first time, a couple of fawns [White tail's] I found laying in the orchard
in broad daylight, I went back to get the camera and got a couple of shot's, in the evening I set up a blind and waited,....only in about a half hr. they came and got some shots.

Aug. 15, 09

Aug. 15, 09

Aug. 15, 09

Aug. 15, 09

Aug. 15, 09

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture Of The Day

o

For a little while in the winter I put out a remote camera with night vision/infrared to see what animal will visit..
[camera is pointing always same direction]

April, 2010

April, 2010

April, 2010

Apri, 2010

Konrad

o

Last year we had a two week deep freeze, leafs couldn't turn color...

This picture about 10 day's before the freeze

Sept. 23, 09

Oct. 18, 09

This year's fall looks about normal..

Photobucket

o

Nursery & Poplar fall color right after a light rain in evening..

Sept. 010

After a few minutes taking a shot towards where I was standing..
Sept. 010

o

I always enjoy your pictures Konrad. Keep 'em coming! -Glenn

o

Thank you Glenn!
I checked my remote homebrew camera and found this...

Sept. 4, 2010

Sept. 10, 2010

Sept. 11, 2010

Sept. 11, 2010

o

Konrad, in the night photos, am I correct that it's a wolf, not a coyote? That should keep those apple-eating deer under control.

o

I think it's a coyote...no wolfs in this area.
Here another one..

Sept. 26, 2010

One's I thought this was a wolf..

Photobucket

o

very nice konrad...where abouts are you?
I take it you are zone #3?
yeah you're fruit trees are ahead in trms of dormancy down here...no where showing dormancy yet...
what varieites do you plant for apple, cherry what rootstocks are able to take the cold there, which ones are they in those pics?

o

That second photo looks wolfy, all right.

o

I'm just outside of Edmonton Alberta.
I prefer my own apple seedling root stock...[orchard picture fall color] they can handle drought better. The other apple tree with deer is on renetka or antonovka spelling? Cherry, [Evans] is on it's own root, some I graft to pin cherry...makes them a bit hardier,...thanks kokos.

o

Oh...apple varieties, Norkent, Norland, Norda, Norson, Carroll, Summer Red, Goodland, September Ruby or Ruby Red, Zaychuck #1, Lee 17, Collet, Early Mac, Harcourt, Red Wonder, Red Well, Fall Red.
Crab Apples..
Trailman, Chestnut, Rescue...some new seedling crab.
Some other apples I'm testing for hardiness.

o

I am impressed, even your game-cam pictures look professional.

o

Konrad-

That looks like some good tasting venison.

o

Thank you all!

..Looks like he has a taste for apples too!

Oct. 2010

o

This is end of October on my brothers place in Switzerland picking
apples with a machine....

Oct. 2010

Oct. 2010

o

Konrad,

What's the wire mesh wrapped around some tree trunks for? Is it for squirrels? Do you think it'd work on stopping squirrels?

o

Great pics Konrad....

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?
I remember you posting about Seedling rootstocks and how well they work for you. Are the Apple trees in these pics here on seedling?

Is it safe for the deer to eat the branches of apple trees without causing harm to the tree?
When goats entered my orchard and ate my olive trees in Greece, the agronomists told me they would not be the same again, some worse eaten some less...he said that the saliva acts like a poison and does not allow the tree to thrive there after. Advice: Rip out 100 trees and replant....farmer was charged by local agronomy policeman.

o
OOOOppps Konrad

Read the posts above...saw where you live!
Nice!

Give B118 a try it can take a cold beating.

o

ramble, the wire is mostly for rabbits and helping/preventing porcupine
climbing the tree.

Yes, all these are on seedling rootstock.
It doesn't seem to be a problem deer or moose eating the ends off.
Hmn...goat saliva,...that's news to me.

What's B118?

o

Konrad,

Think the wire mesh would work for squirreels?

o

I don't think wire mesh will do for squirrels, but hey, try it, nothing to loose. I only see one or two a year in the woods, not a problem yet.

o

Budagovsky 118 rootstock

o

Thanks Kokos,

I stumbled onto this video and it looked like a bunch of alien came and
pruned this orchard, some of us can use these electronic tools when joints are aching and our power is not there anymore....see video

Here is a link that might be useful: Electronic Shear

o
Picking your apples...

I have seen one in operation..

Here is a link that might be useful: Picking your apples

o

What do you do with all that fruit? Eat it yourself? Impossible. Can it? Would have enough for 3 centuries. Sell it somehow?

o

>>What do you do with all that fruit?<<

I sold some apples, some I juiced with my home build juicer..[link], 700 liter of juice, [last year] lots got frozen, some I sold and some in exchange of 7 tons of manure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Juicer

o

konrad,

That's a load of crap. Just kidding.

o

It looks like as we're going for a record snowfall this winter, I love it, then our ponds and lakes can recover a bit from the last 15 years of less moisture.

The Apple Orchard

Jan. 15, 2011

Honey Bees cooped up in front of Evans cherries..

Jan. 15, 2011

At home, snowing night shot, street lamp giving the back light..

Jan. 14, 2011

o

What a beautiful, peaceful setting.

o

WOW! thats about all I can say. Looks like dreamland! Very blessed indeed! Just a wonderful place some where over the rainbow? Love the wildlife and birds also. The coyote really wants an apple!

o

Ramble:

Konrad is correct, wire mesh will not work for squirrels. Refer to the devices to eliminate squirrels thread for some of the methods that have worked for some. I made a long post in there outlining my experiences.

Beautiful pictures Konrad. Cherries will not grow well where I am, save for the an ornamental weeping type. I have a bit of a deer problem as well, they continually eat my persimmons and other fruits. With the sheer volumes of fruit your producing, I guess they're just a mere annoyance. Thanks for sharing the photos and keep em coming!

o
RE: White Tailed Deer comeing from the orchard..

into my little forest grown from seeds.

Thank you all....yes, I'm blessed, allot of work but you can see the fruit of labor...

We still have allot of snow, Deer are suffering and chewing down allot!

Mach 13, 2011March 13, 2011

o

Wow! Amazing pics as always Konrad! Great closeup of the pesky deer! Keep 'em coming! -Glenn

o

Yes Konrad, amazing pictures as always!

Your deer look a lot more healthy than ours, here they look all ratty-coated and not very photogenic.

Scott

o

I would like to see more pic's of deer on game poles. I used to take pic's of deer then the land arround me was put into subdivisions and land was posted no hunting. now people feed the deer and there are more than the forest can sustain. What used to be a few pruning some branches is now eating a tree down to a stub. Wife used to say come look at the deer now she says grab the gun.

o

Wow, you still have snow! Beautiful picture. How did you get that close?

o

Thank you all!
>>How did you get that close?<<
These pictures were taken with a home brew camera put inside a water tight pelican case, activated by a motion sensor, hooked up with camera, then pictures are taken by itself. Camera is a Sony point and shoot Cybershot. See.. deer noticed the camera and looking straight at it, probably only 2 to 3 feet away. I use it for birds also.

Baltimore Oriole
June 27, 2010

o

Wow! Really nice pictures!

o

Thank you!

Aug. 31 we had hail damage, the second year in a row...good thing is I don't have many apples this year.. most trees are still recovering the second year now after a long deep freeze in October when trees were still too green going into winter, some trees are dead and some are still dying.
Another good thing....it could be worse, have seen allot of wood damage, luckily not in my orchard.

I was hoping to make some pin cherry jelly this year with the best fruit set in about 15 years, ..now I don't know?
The ground was littered with cherries, also chokecherries knocked off green.

Pin cherry

Aug. 1, 2011

Evans cherry
Aug. 1, 2011

Aug. 1, 2011

Trailman crab apple
Aug. 1, 2011

September Ruby

Aug. 1, 2011

o
RE: Hail damage..

This from Sept. 4, same 4 apples as in last picture, still on the tree, good enough to make juice.

Sept. 4, 2011

From Sept. 8, a little tree in the open with heavy damage.

Sept. 8, 2011

A Trailman Crab, best juicing & eating little apple ready to pick, sheltered a bit with less hail damage but Deer sripped this one all within reach...they know what's good!
Sept. 1, 2011

o
RE: Orchard pictures....

Something didn't make sense,..I put Aug. 31 when I posted the first hail damage, that's wrong, should read Aug. 1

o

Funny, I had the same problem this year with those large ants at my place, going after cracked plums.

I agree that this photo album is very special indeed.

You still calling that canine a coyote? East coast coyotes are so much larger than the ones I grew up with in the west coast. Over 15 years back there was a lot of speculation that they are wolf-coyote hybrids but because DNA is identical (as far as what could be analyzed back then) between dogs, coyotes and wolves it was all theory. Don't know if that issue has been resolved.

o

These are amazing pictures! What kind of motion sensor do you use? Is it easy to hook it up to the camera?

o

Thank you all!
Sarah, below is a link from my builds, you can also do a search on building home brew trail cameras.

I'm done with apple pickings, all is processed, mostly juice.
This picture from Aug. 29, showing the apples of my biggest customer, I don't do much custom juicing...just don't have the time. My first early juiced in jugs under the trees, the late one's I did last weekend.

Aug. 29, 2011

This from Sept.7, picked this Norkent in my back yard, the nice one's for storing, rest juice, trees do much better here then on the farm, grafted on a seedling.

Sept, 7, 2011

The first time I've seen a black lady bug.

Sept. 7, 2011

Out on the farm most trees are still recovering from the 2 week deep freeze a couple of years back, not much fruit, some bunches here and there.

From Sept. 27

Sept, 27, 2011

Sept. 24, 2011

Have done good on some berries & cherries..
Pin cherries, on the south side of trees, sheltered from hail

Aug. 14, 2011

Western Sand Cherries

Sept. 8, 2011

Sept. 8, 2011

Black Currant, go into my breakfast cereal

Sept. 8, 2011

Choke Cherries,.. this year I mixed about 3 liters fresh juice into a 50 liter apple wine batch.

Sept. 3, 2011

The first time I got a nice little crop of plum out on the farm, Sprout's Sunshine, grafted to a Siberian Apricot sucker.

From Sept. 3
Sept. 3, 2011

Here is a link that might be useful: Self Portrait of Birds and....

o

I love your photos. I could view a spred from you everyday. Inspirational for my orchard. Thanks

o

When we know how hard it is to be successful, you get our top admiration. Wow! And clean and neat too!

o

Thank you for the info. Should be an interesting project.

o

Thank you all!
Sarah, Buckshot and some others can hack a camera for you if you're not confident doing it,.. I ruined my first camera. In the link is where I got help. I followed Buckshot's video for the hack.

Just downloaded the trail camera, the fawn on the left with mom, the white markings almost gone, from Sept. 22.

Sept. 22, 2011

Sept. 23, 2011

Here is a link that might be useful: Game cam build help

o

Wow looks like dwarf stock and THAT far north - we're impressed! We are in droughty blustery Kansas and have windbreaks, but Fuji's previous owner planted are spindly-limbed and a pain. What rootstock would you suggest? We're getting 'old' and need to replace some stock and would love to have lower trees to get rid of some of that ladder climbing!

o

Thank you Shawnee!
I can't tell what you need in your area, perhaps see your local nursery.
Here, trees don't grow huge in our harsh environment, even when using standard root stock.

I've been on a visit to China, these pictures near Beijing on a roadside stand, I was impressed how nice these apples were, it
seems the Chinese don't eat much fruits....just never see anybody eating, that was just my observation, perhaps too expensive for the average Chinese?

Oct. 18, 2011

Oct. 18, 2011

Oct. 18, 2011

o

Konrad, I agree the fruit stand in China is really good looking. The apples look excellent. The Chinese love fruit and eat quite a bit of it. I also took your advice but was in a dilemma as to which Mirabelle I should buy. After seeing your photograph of Mirabelle de Nancy, I bought one of those and also Metz! I cannot wait till they arrive in the spring. My small orchard is growing! Keep the photographs coming! Mrs. G

o

China produces the most apples in the world with 27 507 000 tons yearly, and US is next in line with only 4 237 730 tons.

Konrad, did you say those are standard rootstock trees? They look more like semi dwarf to me. How did you keep deer from killing trees off when they were smaller?

o

Thank you all!
I graft all apples to my own seedlings.

In China a large apple region is XIAN, some years ago the US was flooded with concentrated juice from there.
Most fruit's are exported, here, the mandarin's are in store already!. Do you have them in the US?

I was in XIAN, not for the apples, to see the buried terracotta warriors. I was totally impressed with what I've seen in China.
Also, they take trees very serious....
Sometimes too serious LOL
Oct. 2011

o

A time of rest here again and giving nutrient to the trees....old manure.
Nov. 13, 2011

o

Oh wow, I'm extremely jealous. Especially of the cherries!

o

Wow... Those pictures are extremely nice!
Look forward to seeing more of your orchard in the coming season.

o

OMG, Konrad! What gorgeous photos!!! What a lovely, lovely place you have. My family is from Edmonton. You do indeed have a short growing season! When I used to complain to my mom about being cold in Vancouver, walking to school in the winter, she would just give me the "Edmonton" look (that's what my sister and I called it!!) So, we quit griping! Now I'm totally spoiled and live in S. California where if it gets below 40, we're in tears, lol!! And, your top photos of the coyotes are definitely coyotes, but that bottom pic is a wolf for sure. Very cool photos, keep them coming!!

Patty S.

o

Thank you all!
I was out pruning last weekend, still doing too much guess work,.. wish a pro could show me more then I know.
When the sun was out, it was warm enough to get rid of jacket and toque.

March 18, 2012

This is showing the transition, rootstock [rough] and top graft, about 2 foot up, [smooth].
At the time of grafting this high, I didn't really know if it would be of any benefit, someone told me to graft high, but didn't say for what reason, it just happened I had large root stock, so allot were grafted high. After over 10 years or so, I see now, there is a huge benefit, these trees, [trunk] cope allot better with the weather, less or none splitting due to frost, warm/cold cycles.
March 18, 2012

Several times I had a moose in....pruned most of the trees, this wasn't a real problem, worse, when they're grabbing onto ends and pull in the same time, causing ripping off branches, this hapend to at least 10 trees.

Febr. 18, 2012\

This was the only time ever, I got a glimpse of a moose,...seems like a younger animal, eating on the choke-cherry tree.
March 4, 2012

Had a camera in the bush and put some sunflower seeds down.

Deer Love...
Mom with her youngster, white-tail.
Jan.15, 2012

Jan. 4, 2012

o

Konrad, I swear if you posted 50 everyday I would take the time to view them. Your photos are beautiful and also an inspiration to a starting orchardist. Thank you.

o

I'll second Bruce's comments! Keep 'em coming! -Glenn

o

What Bruce said. Thanks Konrad, these are so fun to see, and your orchard is so lovely! That's a huge commitment is such a chilly place, I admire your tenacity. I know what it takes. I promise I will never complain about my weather to you!

Patty S.

o

I love this thread.

I would love to one day have some nice land to stretch out on. Eventually I plan on moving up to Oregon or Arizona or Nevada. Sadly California, although a beautiful place, has become such a headache for me. I have a nice home here in So Cal that is paid off but Ca is just becoming such a hard place to live. And looking at Konrads lovely place makes me want to go even more.

Great job on the photos Konrad!!

o

Thank you all!
I do understand,...how about move to Alaska, near the ocean, think there are some better temperate zones like 4 plus?
I know the winters are long but one's the spring / summer starts you can't beat it,...well, maybe mosquitoes? Especially here, Alberta has lots of sunshine,...sometimes too dry but I like it.
I'm blessed in the way that my dream was full filed.

This land about 6 acres, the orchard area I plowed all, the following year filled the low spots, old disc & racked with a chain link fencing material all season until smooth, so I can walk easily and zip fast with the mower cutting grass.

In the foreground,.. just sticking out of the snow are some Capilano Apricot seedlings.

From Feb.12, 2012
Febr.12, 2011

Here is a before and after picture, it was the first time ever that I cut out the dead wood of the Evans cherry bushes this year.

From Oct.14, 2011

Oct.14, 2011

From March 24, 2012

Photobucket

o

Wow! Im sure they will love it! Please post some pics of your harvest and PRE harvest this year!

o

Konrad - you get apricots up there???

o

I was just thinking the same thing, ltilton! Wow. Konrad, we do love these photos. It is amazing up there, things grow at nuclear rates, like they've been injected with steroids. I think the plants just know there is a shorter time to get the job done. My mom used to talk about that, and how glorious summer was up there (minus the mosquitos, of course!) Love your photos, do you still have snow on the ground??

Patty S.

o

Thank you all...LOL Patty!

Now the day's are getting longer, at the peak,...getting dark around 11PM! All the snow has melted but we got twice since again ...a little left now. We can get snow in mid may!
Yes,.. plants, birds, bees and all wildlife are going into overdrive soon, [me too] with the longer daylight.

We can grow several apricots, in the odd years when the winter has been fairly mild and no spring blossom kill,...about one harvest in 4 to 5 year/average for me, in the city about every 2 or 3 years.

Below, [first picture] is a little tree called Capilano,.. the city of Edmonton planted some trees over 50 years ago along a freeway called Capilano, we think these were seedlings because all are a little different. Hope to get a picture when in bloom,...have a strong feeling that this year will be the year for fruit.

I grafted this to a plum seedling, fruited in the 3rd. season, I killed it after the transplant.
Photobucket

Here is a write up from DNA gardens, [not in business anymore]

[I really don't know for sure if this was mine, there are 3 trees.]

Parents: Unknown
Fruit habit: The lady of the closest house says it fruits every second year. Many people pick them. Size: 4 x 4.2 x . 3.6 cm
Shape: flattened ventrally; higher at shoulder
Suture: deep ending at beak
Stigma: small flattened beak
Color: very dark yellow with red blushes on exposed skin.
Aroma: good
Maturity: end of July
Texture: soft
Taste: juicy, very sweet
Uses: excellent dessert type
Stone: free
Thean Pheh remarks:

City of Edmonton could not determine whether it was a seedling or selection as it was planted in the 60's and the lile could not be traced. There were three apricot plants on the same buffer strip and each is completely different from the other in growth habit, fruit maturity, size, shape and taste leading me to think that they are open pollinated seedlings.

This is called Westcot, [somebody else grew]
Photobucket

A tree from around here, [not mine]
Photobucket

o

this is really amazing, you photos are top quality and i am super happy to have found this thread. There is nothing more that i would like then to have the land to farm and more so the ability to farm the land like you do not to mention your amazing photography skills.

o
RE: Porcupine damage on apricot and plum

Thank you Gunnarm!

Think this was the worst ever I have seen, about 4 trees, moose pruned it first, now this about 2 weeks ago, moose had a good feast and coming back for more, seen tracks in nursery only about 2 day's old!

This is a Siberian Apricot,..been grafting over to plum, not a total loss, it needs more grafting.

April 29, 2011

o

Done some Evans cherry sucker transplant...

Out of one clump I could divided into 7
May 6, 2012

May 6, 2012

Pear's and Plums are flowering...
May 15, 2012

May 15, 2012

May 15, 2012

May 15, 2012

o

Bumble bee on plum flowers
May 16, 2012

My honey bees working them
May 20, 2012

Apples are just about to open, this is a red flesh, called Red Wonder
May 20, 2012

This is a Chokecherry, one of my seedlings, opens about 2 weeks earlier then the native choke cherry, I really love it as a bee tree.
May 20, 2012

May 20, 2012

o

Wow Im in love with how well those tree's are growing! It must be the area??? Huh? Or is it the farmer??? Lol

Either way, picture perfect!

o

The picture of your graft on the march 23 post. What type of graft did you do. It's a very nice looking graft.

o

Thank you all!
>>It must be the area??? Huh? Or is it the farmer??? Lol <<

Perhaps both?
Long day light has allot to do also.

>>What type of graft did you do<<

Bark graft,..see link

This Baltimore Oriole on a Trailman Crab Apple
May 26, 2012

Here is a link that might be useful: Konrad's modified bark grafting

o

What a magnificent Baltimore Oriole. Fantastic Konrad! Mrs. G I love the birdies!

o

Thank you Mrs G!
These pictures from today, apples are back after they set out for 2 years due to a early deep freeze in 2009, some died.
June 2, 2012

Hummingbird Moth on the Evans Cherry
June 2, 2012

One of my proud seedling Ornamental Crab
Anybody interested in propagating it?

June 2, 2012

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 20:09

konrad, you could work as a photographer for national geographic. the pic with the baltimor oriole is absolutely beautiful!
What variety of plum is in the pic with the bees? The blossoms are amazingly thick! The plums I have don't blossom like that!
This is a really great thread you started......and probably the longest one on garden web!

o

Thank you Glenn!
That's a Ivanovka Plum,..can't get it to pollinate properly because it blooms early and nothing else around near by, so I tried another branch from home to pollinate,..had a thread on this one, see link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottle feeding..

o

Got a better shot on one Hummingbird Moth the next day on the Evans cherries,..rarely ever see these guys around, they jump around the flowers pretty good, using fast shutter speed is a must, especially if you want to freeze their wings motion to see more details. Those wings must go at least as fast like hummingbirds, maybe that's why it's named like this. Actually, they act a bit like hummers.

June 4, 2012

June 4, 2012

o

Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 19:04

Awesome pictures once again!I remember seeing these as a child, at first glance they look like miniature humming birds.I have not seen them in over 25 years.....come to think of it I haven't seen a lot of the different insects/birds that there were years ago.
I did a little google searching on that Ivanovka plum and they are from what I have read are an asian plum.There is no mention of it being a cross or anything.Makes sense as my asian plums bloom alot earlier than the euros.It seems like a very hardy asian at that because most of the asian plums seem to be rated mostly zone5 and higher.Hopefully my grafts take and I can test the pollination theory in a few years.

o

I saw my first hummingbird moths the other day, but they were much more drab than the one you photographed. I absolutely love your pictures- looking at them, somehow the air seems crisper, cleaner, and everything's a bit more peaceful. :) Thank you so much for sharing!

o

Thank you all!
Glenn, yes you're right,..I can send you more wood if needed.

Today was early honey harvest, the last two years I only done one's at the end of season. The orchard flowered good again this year, that makes a big difference, ..it will be some nice honey.

Sorry, I don't usually look like this, it was hot to our standards, when temperature hit's in the 30C. 86F. I take advantage, the extracting goes better.

July 7, 2012

o
RE: Orchard Honey

July 9, 2012

o

Can I buy your honey? Do you sell it? It looks beautiful. Mrs. G

o

Thank you Mrs. G
You could, but wouldn't be worth sending it to you.
I suggest checking out local bee keepers, honey you get is much better then store bought because some small bee keepers don't heat up the honey, therefore retaining flavors, enzymes, pollen etc.
Also, find out what honey you get, early honey is best I find, bees forage mostly in fruit flowers, later honey comes from clovers and other wild flowers which is nice too but stay away from one sided nectar source/honey which comes from large fields like canola etc.

You pay more from the local guy but it's worth every peny because the small scale bee keeper does mostly all by hand, also cleaner with no bees at all in honey when extracting,...I couldn't believe some of the videos I've seen on U tube, bees being extracted=bee guts in the honey!

The reason for processing plant heating the honey is to process it fast and efficient. They have large stock piles of honey in large drums, most crystallized at the time of processing. All honey gets heated up [pasteurized] filtered and filled. That's why store bought honey stay's liquid for a long time.

Here is a picture from outside, honey frame with bees on it, mostly clover, light honey, you see how the wax was gently pealed away in the middle with a decapping fork.

Sept. 9, 09

o

Some years ago a bee keeper put honey on he's swollen knee, he said the swelling went down.
I did this today to my wife on her swollen foot, not sure what's causing this, it comes and goes but seems it gets worse, we thought that it was gout but doctor test was negative.
We'll see what honey does. So when goggled on this I found...

Here is a link that might be useful: A spoonful of honey helps the swelling go down

o

Peach Plum
Have the first small crop, [ripe] plum of the season at home, got this one for about 10 years now but pollination seems to be the trouble, just a light fruit set, ..it does live up to its name, a beautiful large plum.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 15:37

I have had some success keeping the rabbits off of our blueberry shrubs, during the winter months, by spraying with Plantskydd. This is a liquid repellent made from fermented blood-so it smells bad, and you will want to stay upwind when applying this to any trees or shrubs. It is supposed to work against deer, elk, and moose. Given the size of your operation, you might have to figure out how to make your own repellent.

o

Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 21:39

beautiful plums Konrad!how big are they? can you do a size comparison when you pick them?
Glenn

o

I have to say, this is my favorite thread on all of GW. Thanks, Konrad. And, your honey looks awesome. I buy my guy's local honey right down the street from me. It is so light a delicious, we just love it. I use it in my coffee, tea, cornbread, in my cereal. It is the best honey I've ever had. Most likely a combination of citrus and our California sage scrub. So good. And the peach plums are so lovely, I've not heard of them. Like to know more about this variety. I probably can't grow it down here, but they sound delicious.

Patty S.

o

Thank you all!
Here a comparison with a penny and a PTITSIN Plum in a bowl.

o

Excellent growing season with lots of heat and the right amount of moisture pushed the picking ahead to this last weekend on the Evans cherries. Wasp have been very, very bad and ruined allot, some loss to birds.

Several trees were nicely loaded.

Aug. 18, 2012

Aug. 6, 2012

Butterfly getting the sugar fix!
Aug. 18, 2012

Aug. 18, 2012

Aug. 18, 2012

o

Who knew that Eden was in Alberta? Great photos as usual. Look like a very good cherry crop.
Most of us probably walked by some glorious site today ourselves and failed to actually see them. I can here someone saying "What are you looking at? It's just a bug on an apple tree."

o

Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 21:07

OMG konrad! is that normal for Evans to be so loaded with fruit?If so, I can hardly wait until my Evans come into fruition!

o

Gorgeous, Konrad! I planted an Evans this year. I am not holding my breath I'll get any fruit, but thought I'd give it a try. Love the photos, I always get excited when I see this thread come up to the top, again! I wish my mom were still around to see all you grow up near her home town. She would be amazed.

Patty S.

o

LOL Bruce, I guess you're right.

Glenn,...you bet! Not so much out in the country here but som trees are like this, sheltered in town it's a common thing. I would think a perfect cherry for a sheltered zone 3, zone 4 should be just ideal, zone 5 and up might get a bit warm but I think you should still have cherries, not sure if loaded like this.

You can also experiment with other root stock, this picture is Evans on pin cherry, nicely loaded, flowered a little later, the cherries are still on but deer have eaten most on the bottom branches, I put on a trail camera,...they might be back, if so, I'll post later. The cherries are slightly smaller but I find sweeter.

Picture from July 2, Evans on pin cherry.
July 2, 2012

o

I spend some time this weekend picking the early apples, Norland, Harcourt, some Trailman Crab and Carrol.

The bright red one's are Norland, light color one's are Norkent, others are Sept. Ruby

Norland, in full sun can get marbled,..they get juiced tomorrow.
Best early apple but not a keeper when left on this long.

Photobucket

Sept. 2, 2012

Sept. 1, 2012
Sept. 1, 2012
Sept. 1, 2012

o

The last Evans Cherry picture, [green] was coming along nicely and getting ripe about 2 weeks after the others when one day it got almost completely stripped by deer and broke some branches.
When I put the camera near they didn't come close anymore. It was a mom with her young.

Aug. 24, 2012

Apple season has drawn all kind's of other animals, ..I found out that porcupine love apples, they can eat allot! Figured I don't clean up the ground so perhaps then they don't climb the tree,...not so here! They're like us, thinking that the apples are better on the tree.

Aug. 31, 2012

Sept. 2, 2012

Sept. 2, 2012

Sept. 3, 2012

I might have to set a trap and relocate him before winter, I don't want to see this anymore...
April 29, 2011

I was surprised to capture a fox the first time.

Sept. 3, 2012

o

Strategically placed apple pile!
Great photos Konrad, the most interesting animals around my area are rare Fisher Cats and Skunks!

-Eric
----------------------------------------------------

o

Thanks so much for all of these beautiful photos. This is also my favorite post on all of garden web.
Very inspirational to us all.

o

Thank you all!
missed one of my favored shot..
Aug. 31, 2012

o

Greengage plums are getting ready,..only the second decant crop, the mild last winter was easy on the fruit buds.

It's funny, when they turn yellow they really stick out,...I wasn't expecting this many.

Sept. 8, 2012

Sept. 8, 2012

Sept. 8, 2012

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here