Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian Pear leaves munched

Posted by yawiney 7b/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 2:30

I have 2 asian pear trees in their 1st yr. My multi-graft is doing well, but has many leaves freckled with brown thru both sides of the leaf. The muncher is starting from the top of the leaf and going thru to the bottom.
My Hosui has a worse muncher that is eating the new growth. I have seen some ants on this one but don't think they are the guilty ones. Could one of the munchers be cucumber beetle? They are around for sure. It looks like 2 different pests. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian Pear leaves munched

If you see ant, you prolly have aphids. Otherwise a caterpillar might be doinng the damage. I doubt its a cuke btl.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 11:43

Could it be pear slug? I saw the first ones on one of my quince yesterday. The tree is small enough I squished them with my fingers that just happened to be gloved at the time.

They are a form of sawfly and apparently very fragile and, in spite of their name, pretty indiscriminate about what species they'll eat.

Here is a link that might be useful: pear slug damage?

o

Thanks. I think it could be aphids eating the new growth of the Hosui because of the way the new growth is dissapearing. The freckled holes(not see thru but brown on both sides of the leaf) on my multigraft seem like something bigger. It's not slugs on either. I would see those for sure.

o

Aphids are sucking insects. There's a caterpillar somewhere.

o

Thanks. Going caterpillar hunting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here