Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urbngrdnr

Blueberries & Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Azalea, Camellia...

urbngrdnr
11 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with planting blueberry bushes in containers and fertilizing with Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food?

I planted my first Misty Blueberry shrub and I want to care for this plant as best as possible.

It sits in a 7 gallon container with Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix, Perlite and bark mulch topping it off.

Please advise.

Comments (12)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Should be OK. I would use some Osmocote, too. Follow the label rates on any product you use.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

I'm just a little nervous about the pH of the mix you're using. Sounds like it might be around 7. Probably should be closer to 5. Maybe someone with a little more experience can comment about this.

• MrClint
    11 years ago

Edweather has it right, best to re-pot according to CARE OF SOUTHERN HIGHBUSH BLUEBERRIES.

Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron works really well enough for me. I will continue with it until something better comes along. Note that it is not an organic fertilizer - if that matters to you.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

I also use the Miracle grow some, mostly as a foliar feed if the young plants look like they need a pick me up in between scheduled fertilizing.

• riverman1
    11 years ago

I would agree with others..........you need a good blueberry mix for those plants. The link Clint posted is good, here is a video that's also good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnbYI4zaR48

As for the fertilizer, a close friend of mine has used that fert for the last few years on his BB plants in pots and they seem to do well. However, I still think it makes the most sense to use either an organic fert of some kind such as those made by Dr.Earth or ammonium sulf to make sure that you pushing toward a lower PH.

RM

• luv-2grow
    10 years ago

I have my blueberry plants potted in basically organic peat & pine bark mulch. But I have read that it doesn't really matter what you use for potting mix because it will all reach a neutral ph after several months no matter how much pine needles or mulch you add. So that is why I was wondering if the water soluble azalea fertilizer would be the best way to go? Can anyone recommend a better fertilizer at a comparable price to Miracle Grow Azalea fertilizer?

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

The main reason that will raise the pH from an optimum acidic level is the irrigation water.Ammonium Sulfate will help lower it,but most of us have a Winter season and fertilizing during that time is not recommended.
    If possible,use rainwater or some kind of acid to maintain the best environment for them. Brady

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

" Can anyone recommend a better fertilizer at a comparable price to Miracle Gro Azalea fertilizer?"

Yes BLACK HEN at Lowe's yellow bag With Hen image on bag apply even on top pot mix water let set 5 minute water again set 5 minute this melt organic litter then water heavy to move into root zone pot. Black hen $ 7.37 at to local Lowes some of Lowes don't carry Black hen in my area like every other one carries it. It in bag like Black cow don't use black cow on acid loving plants. My next compost pine bark be dry mixed with Black Hen using to much it will cake when dry on top of mix that not good as shed water.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Hollytone is organic, and for acid loving plants. Besides organic fertilizer, it has microbes, and sulfur too! Surprised it has not be mentioned.

"have my blueberry plants potted in basically organic peat & pine bark mulch. But I have read that it doesn't really matter what you use for potting mix "

I disagree with that. Peat will not decompse in a few months, and it will retain a very low PH. But adding sulfur will certainly keep the PH down, and should be added. Every garden center sells it.
    I myself would use the 5-1-1 mix. Look on the container forum to see what it is, skip the lime for blueberries. And add sulfur!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 23:49

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Drew,I do use Hollytone,but IMHO it is overrated and priced too high.I bought about twenty five pounds because it had a decent price with free shipping.Otherwise,I'd probably go local, with something in bulk,like Cottonseed Meal,if going organic.
    I also like a water soluble fertilizer in containers more than granular. Brady

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"I also like a water soluble fertilizer in containers more than granular"
    Ironic as I typed the same words in another thread. Yes I do too. I have a question about bacteria surviving well in containers, so water soluable makes a lot of sense. Also I used amonium sulfate this year on in ground, raised bed blueberries and they responded extremely well. I like to at least use it once a year. Back to containers
    Miracle Grow now too supplies micro-nutrients. or trace elements too.
    Another key is using rainwater or acid treated water.
    Hollytone though sounds like a fine product, and I would think it is a lot better than Cottonseed. Having microbes, fungi, and sulfur, it should be pricey, you get what you pay for.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

The thing is though,Hollytone does contain Mycorrhiza fungi,but not the Ericoid that Blueberries can take advantage of.In fact,I have not yet found any fertilizer with it.With the ones that have fungi,it's either Endo and or Ecto,which Ericaceous plants like Blueberries can't use.I have seen the Ericoid fungi itself offered online at about fifty dollars a pop,a little high for me.
    If Blueberries are planted in the ground,they should naturally acquire the beneficial stuff.It may be possible,after a while,to take some of the soil from the ground plants and transfer it to the containerized ones and get it that way. Brady

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?