Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Stanley plums sucker badly?

Posted by texasjg 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 2:41

I'm considering planting a Stanley plum. I've read about some people who have bad suckering problems with plums and wondered if this variety has that issue. I'm in central New Mexico and this is a recommended variety here due to late bloom, hardiness, and self pollination. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Stanley plums sucker badly?

I think it's mostly a question of the rootstock not the plum variety and myrobalan is the most common plum rootstock and can sucker a lot. Stanley is not the most vigorous plum so this might escalate the problem a notch. In any case, suckering isn't that big of a deal in most situations and will probably be the least of your worries in trying to grow E.plums in Texas.

o

Thanks, Harvestman. I'm actually in central New Mexico, despite my handle ;-) Would you recommend a different variety? Zone 6, must have late bloom due to late frosts, self pollinizer, hardy, heat and drought tolerant. There are lots of well established stone fruit trees in town, so if I get the right variety, it ought to do well.

o

I'm not the best person to recommend varieties for NM- I know the northeast. What's your elevation?

I'd think New Mexico would be a good site compared to TX (less humidity) but I'd grow something like Empress there. Better quality and it does equally well in the northeast as in CA so it probably is pretty good where you are. I don't know if it's self fertile though. I think Castleton is and is a perfect shaped home orchard tree as grown on Myro. It's naturally pretty dwarf and a consistent cropper. But as I say, my experience is in the northeast. Maybe you should post another message asking about best E plums for New Mexico.

o

Good idea, thanks :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here