Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown scab on upper canopy of my avocado tree. What is it?

Posted by jumpinjoe none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 2:45

Hey all,

Was around my fruiting hass avocado tree today and i noticed a huge brown scab like thingy on the trunk. What is it?. I live in San Diego. Any help is deeply appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown scab on upper canopy of my avocado tree. What is it?

Photos please. Sounds like Phytophthora Canker to me, but we would need photos to be able to correctly ID the issue. Where on the trunk are you seeing this lesion? Down towards the soil line? If you can take a few photos, both a bit aways from the tree for perspective, then close up, that would be helpful.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Canker, Crown Rot

o

Thanks Patty. S i will get photos up ASAP.

o

Tree is along my fence line next to a rose bush and boganbillia

o

Scab

o

I rotated the picture.

o

I would say this does look like canker to me. Joe, does your avocado's tree trunk get sprayed by your lawn sprinklers by chance? If so, adjust your lawn sprinklers so they do not hit your tree. You'll want to eliminate any possible causes of canker. And, follow the directions from UCIPM in how to treat it. You can also call your local ag agent or, if you have a good orchard supply store near you, they should also be able to advise you and have the proper products to treat this. I'm not sure where in S. Calif. you live, but if you're in N. San Diego county, Grangetto's would be the place to go for further advice and products.

Patty S .

o

Im in the south bay area near eastlake. Ill check my local nursery. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here