Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf/semi dwarf cherry trees - tell me about them

Posted by princessgrace79 8 PNW (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 3:08

I have been thinking of planting a dwarf cherry tree after seeing a few around my area in yards. I'm not sure if I would be putting in a semi dwarf or if they make columnar style cherries like they do apple trees.

Does anyone grow them? Are they high maintenance? I'm zone 8, and my next door neighbor grows some cherry trees if pollinators is an issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf/semi dwarf cherry trees - tell me about them

I used to live in Tennessee and tried growing them there and didn't have any luck. I moved back to Indiana in 04 and live in the northern part of the sate. Have had some limited success here as they seem to like the cooler climates better. I do go to Eau Claire, MI every year to pick them, both the sweets and sours. the big thing I have found out about growing cherries is they seem to be more prone to diseases, pests, and weather. So far I have had only one year and that was last year (2013) that I got a small crop of cherries from my trees. My sour cherries (North Star and Montmorency) seem to be a little more hardy than the sweets (2 Rainer, Lapins, and a Windsor). Just my opinion and would like to see what others have to say about your post! This year with the harsh hard winter I didn't get any blooms, and then in their weakened state the aphids hit my sweet cherry trees and done some damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here