Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Triple Crown blackberries not leafing out

Posted by dbarnett Z9/Z10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 3:31

My second year canes have some growth but not every leaf bud has opened. I would say that only a third of the leaf buds have opened and the ones that did are flowering and setting fruit. My thorned varieties look great. (Marionberries and Boysenberries) The triple crowns seem to be half awake. See the link below. According to some information that was provided for my area, I received about 550 chill hours. The plants have been in the ground for 11 months so they are juveniles. I am seeing some nice thick primocanes for next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Triple Crown Blackberries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Triple Crown blackberries not leafing out

I forgot to add that you can click on the picture to enlarge the photo for more detail.

o
RE: Triple Crown blackberries not leafing out

Perhaps you have more than one triple crown plant, as I see more than one plant with intermittent leaves on 2nd-year laterals.

My guess is the plants are not mature enough to support that many feet of laterals and are protesting.

I wouldn't worry unless the pattern repeats next year.
If you have multiple triple crowns, try keeping this year's laterals on one to 8 feet and let the other one go; compare next year's results.

Nice-looking berry patch you have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here