Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogperson1975

Blueberry/Raspberry Growing help!!!!!!

dogperson1975
11 years ago

I have been trying to grow fruit bushes for a while now. I know most of the BASICS, but I'm obviously missing something. Maybe I need to refertilize, I don't know.

I live on 40 acres in Kansas and have a fenced in yard for my garden (otherwise my dogs terrorize it). Two years ago, I put in composted soil (dirt and horse manure). We have horses, so it's available. The soil underneath is mostly rock and clay, so I raised the garden about a foot. There is a tree on one side, and I try to only put shade plants under there.

Blueberries - I've tried for two years to keep these things alive, let alone grow berries! I know you have to have 2 different varieties to pollinate and get blueberry bushes. This year I even used a product to make the soil more acidic. They still died anyway. I think I've had about 6 different varieties. I have been getting 3 different types.

Raspberries - I had these planted under a shade tree (yes, I realize that was dumb) and they seemed to grow for a bit, then died. This year I planted them in the sun. I thought I saw some new growth, but I think they are gone. These were all Latham varieties

Grapes - these still seem to be ok, but just not very big yet. Help before these die too!! They are thompson seedless and flame varieties

Blackberries - I have 3 thornless varieties, I believe 2 are apache. They have been there for 2 years, still very short. Not very many leaves and maybe produce 5 blackberries last year. They are planted in full sunlight, don't know what I can do to help those along.

Also planted some Honeyoye (spelling?) strawberries. They are under the tree though, I'm guessing that's not a good place for those (in hindsight of course.)

I did put miracle grow on my whole garden this year. Unfortunately, the grashoppers got to the corn, mint and beans before I got to them.

Any help anyone can provide on some or all of this would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks

Amy

Comments (2)