Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benji_wenji

Inherited raspberry canes

Benji_wenji
9 years ago

I am having a problem restoring health to a patch of raspberry canes.

I took on an allotment back in March and I inherited some autumn raspberries which looked pretty forlorn (apparently they used to be fantastic) . There was lots of dried out bindweed snaking through it all from the previous season as well as a lot of dried grass etc. Its clear that the previous owner had neglected them. Anyway, I cleared out all of the nonsense and spread some fish, blood & bone around the plants, keeping them well watered (well the weather has). I was expecting them to pick up and recover as I thought the problem was just competition from the bindweed. They do not seem to be recovering though??? I was hoping to move them in the autumn, putting them into more manageable rows but if they don't pick up by then, I'm not sure i'll risk it. As you can see in the pictures, the foliage (from last year?) looks pretty withered and there's not much in the way of new growth, although, there are one or two healthy looking suckers starting to come up from the bases...but it literally is one or two.

does anyone have any advice on how I can bring these back to health? is it even possible or am I going to have to make do with the very few suckers that have popped up? I am waging war on the bindweed using contact herbicide (avoiding any contact with the raspberries obviously) but is there anything else I can do? They are in full sun on heavy soil.

any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (3)