Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with IPM for Stone Fruits

Posted by treehugger100 z6MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 6:34

This is my first year for stone fruits. I feel overwhelmed by the array of products and combinations. Penn State and other University sites confuse me more as the list of products is more than I can wrap my head around. I have 16 trees (apricots, aprium, cherries, nectarines, fig, pear and plum). Can you recommend say, 4-6 insecticides, fungicides or combinations that are must haves in the arsenal?

I love the fungicide that needs a repeat application every two weeks and that insecticide every 7 days. Does this fungicide counteract that insecticide waiting for round 2?

And why do some sprays seem to leave out plums and apricots- Bonide Fruit Tree Spray for example.

Sorry for the long post. Is there a fruit tree growers Bible that would help me?

After my experience with the blueberries, I am very cautious.

Thanks once again.

Terri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with IPM for Stone Fruits

"And why do some sprays seem to leave out plums and apricots- Bonide Fruit Tree Spray for example. "

It contains sulfur, and I can't speak for plums, but "cots" don't like sulfur.

o

Ah. So what kind of fungicide do you use for cots?

o

"Ah. So what kind of fungicide do you use for cots?"

Copper, and you can use Bonide® Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray or Bonide® Fung-onil™ Fungicide .
If you wish to use Bonide products. Most pros use other fungicides I think because of the low percentages of active ingredients in Bonide? Not sure? Seems like a decent company. I myself am still testing all these products for myself.
Monterey Fungi-Fighter is another I have seen used, but not sure if on cots? Also Spectracide.
Some of these may have the same active ingredients?
I would use at least 2 different fungicides, and where you can use them I would. where you cannot, use something else. Copper can be used on all, but best used in dormancy, but can be used at other times too.
Cooper is a must! It is also toxic to the soil (yet considered organic). I still use it anyway. It works!! Sulfur is also good, but not on cots.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 9:53

o

Instead of product names, you should concentrate on the generic names of the active ingredients to know what you're really putting on your fruit.

The problem with the Bonide and Ortho products is that they're usually mixed with other stuff, and that's where problems can arise.

o

Thanks, Drew51. That was really helpful.
ltilton, What kind of problems can arise from combination products?

o

"The problem with the Bonide and Ortho products is that they're usually mixed with other stuff,"

Exactly what you want in a preventative. They are not meant for treatment, except the oil mentioned. The Fruit tree spray and the orchard spray are to be used like copper, as a preventative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here