Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanted persimmon a goner?

Posted by rhewhton 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 7:16

I moved a persimmon tree from one spot in my yard to another about 9 days ago. I had moved small fruit trees before with success and thought if I chose a cool wet period it would be ok. Well, it started drooping within hours and hasn't really recovered (see pics). Some leaves have fallen off. However, the leaves on the lowest branches look ok. Afterwards I read about persimmons having a taproot and that they often don't do well when when transplanted.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this tree is a goner. I have another persimmon tree waiting in the wings to plant in this spot. My thinking is that even if the tree survives but is set back a year or two it would probably be worth replacing it now with a healthy tree. I would be interested to hear your opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanted persimmon a goner?

Here's another pic...

o

It is a natural reaction to being moved while it is growing. Would of course have been better to move it while it was dormant but I bet you know that:) My bet is it will survive if kept watered.....would do better if you could give it some shade but realize that is not easy to do.

Far as if you would be better off replacing it......roll the dice but I would give this tree a chance to recover.

o

Rhewhton,

Like you said, persimmon has a very deep tap root, but it is best to transplant it during dormant season. You are in zone 7, so anytime in the late fall or early spring before the tree leafed out. Your current tree still look green and stunted. You can put a shade cloth over it to protect it from the sun and just wait for a couple of weeks to see if the tree recovers from the transplant shock. Good luck.

Tony

o

OK, thanks for your advice. I guess my other question is whether it would make any sense to prune away the upper canopy of the tree. Maybe not since the tree is purging its own leaves as needed. Anyway, I'll think I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here