Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Botrytis on strawberries

Posted by ajsmama 5b (NW CT) (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 7:26

What to do at this late date? I've been picking for a week, still have green berries but after rain 4 out of past 5 days yesterday I found a green berry infected and a mummy berry (that I tried not to spread but no luck, spores coming off as soon as I touched it). Is there a way to save the harvest this/next week and then just deal with it at renovation? Even something drastic like thinning out foliage/plants would be acceptable, rather than losing the entire crop.

Today will be sunny and low 70's but we're expecting some showers tomorrow, next week (so far) forecast to be just 20% chance of precip each day.

ltilton - I had standing water in the lawn too, berries are planted at top of stone wall so not mushy there but mushrooms coming up in the berry patch (and the veggie garden and everywhere).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Botrytis on strawberries

At this stage, I just carry 2 buckets when I pick - one for the good berries, one for the infected ones, to get them out of the patch before they develop spores.

It's probably too late now to spray.

o
RE: Botrytis on strawberries

Yeah, I figured it was too late to spray, but wondered if thinning the plants (pulling diseased leaves and fruit) would help to get rid of infected plants as well as get more air circulation? Or just keep picking and thin when I renovate?

Darn, market starts Wed too...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here