Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nvrnugh

Granny Smith Apple Tree

Vanessa 8a
9 years ago

I got her last fall and new nothing of what i was doing as I'm certain you can most likely tell. I've done some reading so I went open center and pruned my little one at planting.

My goal is to have easy reaching wonderful looking apples.

I did get some beautiful flowers in the spring. I had no clue they would be so wonderful but no apples. I have no clue how old she is and I haven't done any spraying of any kind.

Any suggestions on pruning? I was going to take the two leaders and weigh them down to a 45 degree angle. I don't care what the tree looks like as long as it's healthy. My goal is for the best fruit possible.

Not seeing any issues am I okay not spraying anything or start to be safer verses sorry?

I may have gotten her on a whim of a great sales lady but I want to do right by her and have years of enjoyment so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)

• johnthecook
    9 years ago

right now it looks like two central leaders competing to be the boss. Open centered is usually 3 to 4 limbs going much more horizontal out not straight up. If I was looking to go open centered which I have done with most of my trees I would cut the left limb out altogether. then hope for some of the lower branches to start growing out on the remaining limb to turn it into an open centered apple tree. I have just bought two more apple trees on a whim and they both had two very strong central leaders and I pruned both of them down to one central leaders and now I will leave them alone for the season and see how they progress.

• johnthecook
    9 years ago

Look up Good spray program for apples here. I asked the question a couple of years ago and got some good replies. Your environment may be different than mine so you may need to spray more.

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

They seem to have tendency to grow tall and narrow when compared to other apple tree varieties.

I never sprayed mine. Like most untreated apples, the apples I get are covered in sooty blotch. However, they cleaned up to look almost as good as market apples. Being a hard apple, they don't seem to be as susceptible to issues that cause rotting. They ripen later than most apples, so you have to keep that in mind when harvesting. I don't even bother with them until all the other varieties are done yielding.

• curtis
    9 years ago

This tree is off to the wrong start for your goals. I agree with Johnthecook that you need to get rid of one of those branches. It is a Y which is weak. I would cut it off then do some cuts to try to prompt low dormant buds to push new growth. (google how to do that). After getting some new low growth started do nothing until spring pruning time.

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dang it had 4 limbs when I got her. All going in different directions. N, E, W and S. I took it down to these two thinking I was getting myself an open center. I should say all four were at the same spot.

Should I cut one of the branches now and which one or it doesn't matter?

Thanks for all the replies as all help is appreciated.

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

I like your original idea of weighing down the branches, though rather than attaching weights, I would tie them to long strings (make sure to use a loop, rather than tying the string tight) and attach the strings to rocks or bricks. Four branches would be idea, as you could get a nice symmetrical tree out of it.

I've tied down most of my trees (close to horizontal) and in a few situations I didn't leave a central leader. Those trees are now relatively low (7-8') and fairly wide. Of course how big the tree gets will also be dependent on the rootstock.

• jbraun_gw
    9 years ago

My Fuji looked similar to yours this spring. Taking a clue from Harvestman I made spreaders and increased the crotch angle. The spreaders were just scrap wood from my shop 1"x2"with nails driven in each end. I cut the heads of the nails off and sharpened the nails. The points dig into each branch. I cut one branch off and when it puts out new growth it will fill in my area that needs structure branches.

Good Luck.

• johnthecook
    9 years ago

Cut the left one and either leave the remaining one alone to see what limbs grow out of it near the bottom where the leaves begin. or cut where you would like your limbs to begin coming out to create the open centered apple tree you desire. It looks like you have a few limbs where the leaves begin on the right leader so you could cut above them to stimulate their growth. I know it seems like your starting from scratch, but it is what you need to do.

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AHHHH!! Kids at play the @#$%& snapped clean off I want to cry!! Is all lost?!?!? Sweet mother of slow motion! He was falling and grabbed, neighbors kid that comes to play with my dog. I honestly hadn't made a decision! I've grown to care for an apple tree oh the simplest things. This is bad right? Pull it up and try again with a new one??

• Vanessa 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What Smity looks like as of 5 minutes ago.

• applenut_gw
    9 years ago

They did you a favor; that's what happens when you finally get a load of fruit on it and the narrow crotch angle tears off.

Let it go until next spring, then whack it off about 36" high. It will re-grow a tree about the size it was before, only this time train it as a central leader, spreading the branches out with toothpicks as they sprout out from the leader. These branches will bear heavily the next season if you keep the tied down at or below horizontal. You can see a video on this at http://www.carolustrees.com/nl

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz