Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer Cleft Grafting

Posted by ahgrower 8 metro atlanta (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 8:24

Hi Everyone, I have one question. In summer, around July 15-8/15,(this is the recommended time for our area because of slipping in the branches) I want to try to attempt the cleft graft. I want to do it on a Burbank plum tree and I want to attach a limb from another compatible plum tree like the Santa Rosa. My question is: Do I have to use a scion from last year? Can I just take a limb off of the Santa Rosa and use that for the cleft graft without the freezer application of a scion? Is there any grafting that can be done from one fruit tree to another in the summer season without the scion going through the refrigeration process? Thanks all! I will consider and apply your suggestions. This will be my first time grafting...thanks so much!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer Cleft Grafting

It won't work in the summer as the scion must be dormant. Look up bud grafting, budding, or t-budding. All the same thing and its done in the summer. Basically, instead of grafting a whole branch, you just cut off a tiny piece of bark with a bud cut a slit and put the bud in to the slit and then the bud will grow in to a new branch

o

Thank ou so much jimmy21! I am going to do this with the utmost care and I will let you and all the others see the results. I appreciate this more than you will ever know. This is why I love, love, love this website. You guys are great! I feel like you are all my family in the garden!

o

It also may not be best to freeze your dormant scions,ahgrower.Your second usage was right,by writing refrigeration process.Freezing could dry out the wood.33-40 degrees is optimal. Brady

o

Yes Bradybb, I meant to use the term "refrigeration process" throughout the first paragraph! LOL. After reading the many messages on this website, I understand the process of storing scions and they should never never be frozen, just moist and not dry. Anyway, are the odds pretty good at successful summer grafting stone fruit trees like peaches and plums. I know that technique and experience gives a person greater success, but I was just wondering...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here