Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New blueberry for up north

Posted by Noogy 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 8:26

Hey now...
There's a new half-high mid-season blueberry available for y'all.
I also am reading that "Toro is hardier than Bluecrop, according to growers in central wisconsin", writes Degrandchamp from South Haven Mi.

http://fruit.cfans.umn.edu/blueberry/superior.htm

Has anyone tried Northblue HH?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New blueberry for up north

Northblue has been a great bush for us, we have about a dozen. Consistent, heavy cropper, good flavor and size, have never had any winter damage.
seems to max out at about 1.5-2' for us, but fills in/spreads out with good density.

o

Northblue is a very good cold climate bush. I agree with windfall rob that is a good cropper with very good flavor. My berry size is medium to small but I don't thin any out either. It is a short thickly branched, wide plant.

This past winter was unusual in that we had very little snow in northern MN. One Northblue and one other unknown bush were the only 2 that weren't damaged out of 33 blueberry bushes. The damage seems to have been caused by desiccation. Bluecrop had about 80% loss of all top growth and the StCloud, Chippewa, Polaris, and Friendship all had about 60% top damage.

Part of the reason that the one Northblue faired so well is that it is an older plant. Older wood seems to winter better. There were 3 younger Northblue that had about 30% top loss. All but one of the 33 plants are coming back strong.

I try to prevent this top loss by stopping all fertilizing by the end of June. Lots of time to harden off. Our winters tend to be long, cold and dry. Good snowfall is critical for our blueberries. Especially the younger plants.

At some point, I'll probably give Toro a try.

o

Thanks. I've been thinking about doing northblue in containers for peoples patios. I like the idea of leaving them outside in z6 in pots and I bet if kept out of the wind, they'd be OK.

Northern,
when is 1st freeze avg for you up there?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here