Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Blossom Mystery

Posted by GreenDreamhome Zone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 8:26

I live in the Phoenix area. We have a baby Anna Apple tree. For those of you who don't know Anna Apples, they are made for the Phoenix climate and they bloom and have fruit early. The apples are ready in the late spring and early summer.

We were surprised that our tree produced three apples this year. When I picked the third apple I saw this: a lone blossom! Why did the tree create this flower so late in the season? Is it going to make another apple for the fall?

UPDATE: I just went outside, and there are five more!

This post was edited by GreenDreamhome on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 9:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Blossom Mystery

I see this in different apple trees in my small orchard. Later blossoms after the main bloom. Are Anna apples self pollinating or do they need another apple tree around?

o

Annas are self-pollinating, but they do say that they have more fruit if they are within 50 feet of a few other types of apple trees. Our neighbors have a dozen Annas, some of which are around 50 feet away.

Do you get later fruit, too?

This post was edited by GreenDreamhome on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 9:24

o

I have early, mid, and late apples planted. I think it's natural for a tree to throw out a few late blossoms. Your warm weather may make the apple trees try to create more apples again in one season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here