Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that Wound! (peach)

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 8:27

I've seen a new type of wound on some of my peaches and was wondering if anyone can identify it or the bug that did it.

The surface of the wound looks like a flattened drop of wax, but it's a hard surface, not soft and mushy.

Has anyone seen this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that Wound! (peach)

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 8:27

Here's another shot:

o

That looks like internal damage that bubbled up. Peaches often have internal flaws, it depends on the weather at various ripening points. I have a lot of it this year for some reason. Cut it open and you will probably see flesh looking colored and bit odd, but no bug tracks. The flaw usually lines up with the edge of the pit.

Scott

o

Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 13:00

Interesting, thanks!

Are these peaches salvageable, or should I get rid of them when I see them?

o

I thin them if there are nearby fruits, otherwise I keep them since its not taxing on the tree overall. 3/4 of the peach will be fine to eat.

Scott

o

Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 13:47

Good to know. I removed a bunch yesterday , but I'm sure I missed a bunch too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here