Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grape vine ties and pruning

Posted by tlouise 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 8:30

I planted 4 grape vines this year ( all table grapes: reliance, lakemont, and two canadice). I live near Buffalo, NY. I put in a trellis which is 5' high, with two wires , one at the top and one halfway down. There are two vines spaced between posts. As I understand it, the goal this year is to develop the root system. So far, so good. They are growing nicely. Here's some questions:

1. What is best to use to tie the grape vines to the wire?
2. Am I right in thinking I don't prune this first year until the growing season is over? Therefore I should tie whatever growth develops to the wires for this year? Then most will be cut off in the winter leaving a strong central stem from which I"ll hopefully have two arms on each side, one for each wire...?? Am I getting this?

3. I read something about not letting the grapes produce the first year. I have the beginnings of little clusters. Will these first be flowers, then grapes? Am I really to just cut them off? If so, when? Yikes, sounds painful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grape vine ties and pruning

I'll be interested in hearing responses to your questions about the ties and pruning. I do know you MUST get those clusters off ASAP. They will rob your vines of the energy they need to grow. I had that same problem, and was strongly advised to snap those clusters off. It was a sad day, but I did it! I have 13 new vines just planted this year. Much to learn!! Here is a link to a forum strictly dedicated to growing grape vines:

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Vines

o

OH, dear! no other replies. Thank you desertdance for the link and the advice.. Guess we'll try to figure this thing out on our own.

o

tlouise: Everything you suggested is right on the money. The only change I made over the yrs is to forget the bottom wire. The vine won't grow well there and it really adds nothing to your system. Just go with the top wire. If you want a larger canopy put a T on the top. Yes you should cut off any fruit this yr. Not because it will permanently stunt your vine. Just because you won't get much fruit anyhow. Next yr you can leave some fruit if your vine is big enough.

If your vines grow well enough this yr, you can form the canes on the top wire this yr. If those canes grow 6-8ft this yr you will have enough growth to leave some fruit next yr. If you don't form good canes on the top wire this yr you will be without fruit next yr.

The Fruitnut

o

I'll also add to fruitnuts good advice that if the vine is growing vigorously then you may want to cut off all growing canes but the biggest one. The goal is to get one cane to the top wire by the end of the summer, to make the trunk of your vine for the rest of its life. If you have a bunch of canes it may be that none of them will reach but with only one it will grow more.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here