Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White gold cherries red

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 8:36

My White Gold cherries are still small, a couple of weeks from ripe, but starting to take on color, and quite a few of them are downright red, well beyond blushed. This is vexing, as it's likely to attract the birds.

I figured at first that these fruits had probably been infested, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

This is the first time the tree has done this. I wonder if it could somehow be reverting back to a primal red cherry state?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White gold cherries red

Its related to the weather, some years they get more red than others.

Scott

o

Well, our weather has been extraordinarily wet this year, if that's the cause.

o

My sweets (all red types) are changing to a pink and falling off..i figure its lack of sun. Not much of a crop this year :(

o

Not falling off so far, but signs of some pecking going on. Lots of scars but not seeing much in the way of larvae.

I expect as they get bigger, they'll start to split.

o

cherries on my Black Gold and Vandalay are still small, a month away from picking but i've noticed many are turning red. Then, they dropped. No bug damage. They just turned red, stopped sizing up and dropped.

I also summer pruned, taking off some branches to get more sun in. The pruning helps birds spotting my cherries easier! Saw some bird bites on some cherries today. No win situation. I doubt if I would get any cherries this year.

o

Those small dropping fruits are the June drop on cherries. Some varieties seem to do more than others. Frank, maybe your trees have too little energy due to lack of sun so are self-thinning more than usual. My apples in the shade tend to self-thin a lot more and later in the season.

I just netted my Montmorency last night. Boy that was a pain, the tree is about 15' high now. At least I'll get some cherry pies this year.

Scott

o

This over-coloring is making it hard to figure out when to pick them! I finally started today, as between the robin and the cracking, I'm losing more every day.

Next year, I'll have a decent net ready. I tried with the snaggy black one, but it was impossible.

But despite the PC scars, I've seen almost no larvae in the fruit. Using that acetamiprid appears to have done the job.

o

We had several days of rain last week. After the rain stopped, I checked my cherries. As expected, Vandalay which has turned colored a week earlier than Black Gold has a lot of cracking (at least 50%). Black Gold is about 30% cracking.

It was dry over the weekend but rained again today. I don't know if I will have any non-cracking cherries left.

o

Into the jam pot with them!

o

Not-White Gold cherries

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here