Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltilton_gw

White gold cherries red

ltilton
10 years ago

My White Gold cherries are still small, a couple of weeks from ripe, but starting to take on color, and quite a few of them are downright red, well beyond blushed. This is vexing, as it's likely to attract the birds.

I figured at first that these fruits had probably been infested, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

This is the first time the tree has done this. I wonder if it could somehow be reverting back to a primal red cherry state?

Comments (10)

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Its related to the weather, some years they get more red than others.

Scott

• ltilton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, our weather has been extraordinarily wet this year, if that's the cause.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

My sweets (all red types) are changing to a pink and falling off..i figure its lack of sun. Not much of a crop this year :(

• ltilton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not falling off so far, but signs of some pecking going on. Lots of scars but not seeing much in the way of larvae.

I expect as they get bigger, they'll start to split.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

cherries on my Black Gold and Vandalay are still small, a month away from picking but i've noticed many are turning red. Then, they dropped. No bug damage. They just turned red, stopped sizing up and dropped.

I also summer pruned, taking off some branches to get more sun in. The pruning helps birds spotting my cherries easier! Saw some bird bites on some cherries today. No win situation. I doubt if I would get any cherries this year.

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Those small dropping fruits are the June drop on cherries. Some varieties seem to do more than others. Frank, maybe your trees have too little energy due to lack of sun so are self-thinning more than usual. My apples in the shade tend to self-thin a lot more and later in the season.

I just netted my Montmorency last night. Boy that was a pain, the tree is about 15' high now. At least I'll get some cherry pies this year.

Scott

• ltilton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This over-coloring is making it hard to figure out when to pick them! I finally started today, as between the robin and the cracking, I'm losing more every day.

Next year, I'll have a decent net ready. I tried with the snaggy black one, but it was impossible.

But despite the PC scars, I've seen almost no larvae in the fruit. Using that acetamiprid appears to have done the job.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

We had several days of rain last week. After the rain stopped, I checked my cherries. As expected, Vandalay which has turned colored a week earlier than Black Gold has a lot of cracking (at least 50%). Black Gold is about 30% cracking.

It was dry over the weekend but rained again today. I don't know if I will have any non-cracking cherries left.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Into the jam pot with them!

• ltilton
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not-White Gold cherries