Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silly Question

Posted by mjackson 7 NoVA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 8:42

Can someone please tell me if this is indeed an apple tree and if so would anyone know which variety? The picture was taken in Augusta, GA.

thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silly Question

Hmm, I would say thats a pear tree. The fruits look apple-shaped but the leaves are very much looking like pear leaves.

Scott

o

looks like a quince to me . They have pear looking leaves. If you wait till it gets ripe and it is still so sour it puckers your mouth it is a quince. Goes good in jellies if it is a quince.

o

Yeah, that's not an apple. I was thinking pear or quince.

o

thank you, I knew the forums would solve the mystery.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 19:49

You consider that solved? What fruit would you say it is after the advice to date?

If you just showed the fruit I think most would say apple. I've never seen a fruit that looked so much like an apple that wasn't.

The vertical striping is pretty strange.

I agree with Scott that the shiny, waxy quality of the leaves looks like pear.

The fruit stems seem unusually long and thick.

That doesn't look at all like a quince to me.

Can you show a picture of the whole tree?

o

• Posted by eboone 6a - SW PA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 22:24

If it has an abundance of fruit, cut one open and smell and taste it. And post a pic of the fruit cut in half.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here