Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
graftin/budding onto 1/4'BET stock

Posted by Noogy 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 8:44

Hi y'all. I have some new growth that Id like to find a home for and all I have is this rootstock. It's small, but i cringe at the thought of waiting all season. The couple chip buds I've tried haven't taken, and I realize it's a little late for a saddle graft. Just want to be able to get something to take so I can lop the top off next spring.
1/4 " rootstock.
Should I cut the stock 4' from the ground and do a minute cleft graft? Any suggestions? I don't want to kill the stock.

Also, any luck with grafting E pears onto BET? I assume they'll be too vigorous. Is there any variety anyone would consider, like Harrow sweet, Ayers? What can i expect beside late bearing?
I'll prolly hold off and use Asian scion material.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: graftin/budding onto 1/4'BET stock

So the trick is to go with non vigorous scion material. Red bartlett was mentioned on previous posts. How about Colette, as it seems to grow slowly. Any other non vigorous pears that stand out?
thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here