Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How are pytrethroids on Japanese beetles?

Posted by harvestman 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 8:51

I hate having to come back so quickly after knocking out Japanese beetles with Sevin, so I'm thinking about tank mixing some Asana, a pyrethroid, with Sevin to increase duration. Maybe OP or someone else has some advice for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How are pytrethroids on Japanese beetles?

Looks like they work:

link

o

Too bad, link no longer viable.

o

Stupid thing! It said many of the pyrethroids had good control of Japanese beetle.

I've personally never tried it on beetles.

Good article that better work..
link

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 14:23

Hman,

Thankfully I've never had to deal with Japanese beetles so I don't have any hands on experience with them.

According to MSU, Imidan provides control for 10-14 days and pyrethroids 7-10 days.

Carbamates are also recommended with Sevin providing a week or more control (so they say, but that sounds overly optimistic) and Lannate providing only a few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Managing Japanese beetles in fruit crops

o

Harvest-

Do you see many of them in your area? I've killed about 50, but the last 2 days I haven't seen hardly any. My guess is all the ones I've killed are all locally hatched...maybe some migrants will move in.

o

There is a yellow bag sold at Menards catches Japanese beattles very effectively. They are very cheap too. At end of the season, the bag will be full of dead JBs. Better than chemicals.

o

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 16:52

olympia_gardener,
Those traps draw new beetles in, some who in turn breed and lay eggs on your property and make your problem even worse. That's not better than chemicals.

o

Olympia, I gave up on trapping 25 years ago. Only good if you plan to eat them- you could fill garbage cans with them here when they are epidemic.

I like my chemicals (when used responsibly) and consider the current public perception extremely naive. If you live in the west, you've no idea what people are up against east of the Mis. river.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0516032320983.html?22

If you are interested in what I consider a good discussion of the risks of agricultural pesticides, check this out.

Franktank, yes, they are showing up in my earlier spots and damaging grapes, so fruit trees not far behind I'm sure. A customer has already asked me to assasinate them.

Olpea, thanks. Maybe adding Asana wouldn't add much over Sevin XL plus. Don't want to use Imidan- trees too close to owners house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here