Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing Spring Satin plumcot?

Posted by rayrose 8SC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 8:51

I'm thinking about trying Spring Satin plumcot next year, and would like to hear any experiences with it. Thanks for your help.

Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing Spring Satin plumcot?

I grew it. When I could get any fruit to set, it was delicious, but for the most part it simply wouldn't set, despite abundant plum blossoms nearby. I took it out.

o

That's a bummer. I'm planning to do the same thing to 2 AU plums I have, and I'm trying to find something to fill their places.

o

I really wish it would have worked out. The taste is much better than plums.

o

That's what I keep hearing. I don't understand the difference between plumcots and pluots, but I'm ordering some peach trees from the Fruit Tree Farm and they also have Spring Satin, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's the only one they carry, so I'll probably look at some pluots instead.

o

iirc, pluot is a registered trademark, plumcot is generic

o

I have 2. One is entering it's 2nd growing season and did not flower much, another it's 3rd and flowered quite a bit. The older one has about 10 pieces of fruit at the moment. The 2 trees are studs and train easier than my other "stones". Early yet, We'll see what happens. Chad

o

It takes a year or two more than a usual plum to start producing. I now get a good fruit set on it. One year I didn't thin enough and the fruits were not so tasty, but if the thinning is heavy the taste is very good, similar to the standard red pluot flavor.

Scott

o

I purchased the starkbros dwarf spring satin plumcot along with their aprium, apricot and starkrimson plum. The purple fruit in the picture is about 1/2 the plumcots from the tree last year. They have a somewhat tart skin, but the flesh is juicy and sweet and are absolutely delicious. I freeze many plumcots and eat them in the winter and it seems the flavor is intensified. The birds love them and thus have to net the tree or put the green drawstring tule bags around the fruit. I just started harvesting this years crop and each year it has heavy fruit set so i thin the fruit.

o

garedneck, how old is your spring satin? and how many years did it take before it started to produce for you.
Ray

o

Planted in the Spring of 2009 (bare root) started producing in 2011. This dwarf tree is about 8 feet tall and 8 feet in diameter with extremely heavy fruit set which i thin each spring.

o

That's pretty big for a dwarf.
Do you think it produced that quickly because it's a dwarf and not semi or standard?
Thanks Ray

This post was edited by rayrose on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 22:28

o

Is Spring Satin plumcot a 50-50 cross?

o

Yes,

Tony

o

Just planted this one. I am a little worried that the blooms may be affected by the frost in a week. *sigh

It is a three year old tree and sits about 6' high. Cannot wait to taste the fruit. I suppose I should remove the fruit so she develops structure, but I will be tempted to leave it on if I get any.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here