Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chipmunks eating Strawberries??

Posted by bunky_mi 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 8:53

I had a red strawberry 2 days ago and I was waiting for my youngest to come home from grandma's and we went out there and something had ate half the strawberry, Then I remembered a Chipmunk running from the patch the day before??

What kind of things can I do to prevent this from happening??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chipmunks eating Strawberries??

I had chipmunks in my berries until I put down a net. You need to lay something to weigh down the edges or they will crawl under it. I use long pipes. Buy standard plastic bird netting. The stuff is somewhat annoying to handle but be gentle with it and you will be able to get it on and off OK.

Scott

o

Do you have alot of chipmunks? I have one that eats from my strawberry bed. It did bite into my first several berries that turned ripe but now that they're ripening, he doesn't keep up with them. So if you have only one chipmunk, the damage should be minimal. It did the same thing to my tomatoes last year. It took a bite out of the first 4 or 5 that got ripe but then went away. I was considering getting rid of it, but it does very little damage to my beds. He basically gives them a taste test and that's it.

o

once chipmunks find your strawberries you will be very lucky to get any yourself. There is almost never just one and they like the totaly green ones just as well as the red ones. I've alredy "removed" 7 from my 6'x6' bed this week, they've distroyed almost everything. Good luck !!

o

Chipmunks, squirrels, robins, ants, etc all love strawberries. I make up a gallon of ant bait per Mike McGraths formula and have ant feeders every three feet. I used to use the black bird netting but the birds just got tangled up in it which made for other problems. Now I use white netting from the fabric stores, Walmarts is the cheapest at .57 per yard. I bought two twelve yard pieces and overlaid them on my bed. The birds see the white netting and don't try to fly into it. If I get ambitious this fall, I am going to stitch the two pieces together. Tonight I set out the small animal trap to see if I can remove the bothersome squirrel.

o

I have had a great strawberry harvest so far this year, despite some critter(s) taking a few here and there. Whatever it is, it takes the biggest and reddest berries. I think I haven't had more problems because there is a hawk in my neighborhood and my backyard doesn't have much cover for the strawberry thieves to hide under.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here