Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geekella

Watermelon - Is this normal?

geekella
9 years ago

I'm growing the sugar baby variety. Every since the little watermelon buds started plumping up after pollination, i've had a couple that seemed to take off and get rather plump

i have one that has gotten rather big but the one next to it got big then stopped getting big....i haven't see increase in size since quite a few days.

then i have this other that is relatively new but it shot up to be BIGGER than the older big one. so it makes me worry that they all SHOULD be growing at that rate, but aren't.

Is this normal? i planted them all 3 sq feet apart like many sources suggested and the ground was fertilized before planting.

Thanks for any help

Comments (7)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

If they quit growing they are probably ripe. Mine range from 20-45 lbs so size differences are normal. Are the tendrils at point of attachment brown on any? If so those are probably ripe.

• geekella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But they are still very small and the tendrils are not dried up :(

• Orchardman
    9 years ago

They still have about a month till time for them to be ripe. Try feeding them miracle grow.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

Plants will abort fruit sometimes at various stages. Is it possible to post a photo?

• charina
    9 years ago

3 sq ft is not enough room for a melon plant. Is that a typo?

• thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
    9 years ago

Charina is right...hopefully that was a typo because watermelons need a LOT more than 3 sq. ft. Its also true that plants will sometimes just abort fruits for no discernible reason. I can also tell you that melon sizes can vary wildly, even on plants planted the same time and location....even on the same vine. Its not uncommon to have full grown ripe melons along side golf-ball sized melons and even on-going blooms, all from the same plants of the same age and location. Its great that you are so excited and closely watching your melon's grow, but at the end of the day all you can do is give some fertilize, keep the weeds out (as best you can), don't let them get too dry, and wait! Some will make it and some won't...its the nature of the plants to have different growth rates/stages/etc. Good luck.

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

Watermelons grow to be big really fast and then they suddenly seem to stop but what they are doing is ripening on the inside.

You'll know they are ripe when a deer comes by and takes care of them for you. You should visit the grocery and learn what plunking a ripe one sounds like then check your watermelons everyday.

Wild animals seems to be able to smell them where as we can't seem to.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists