Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelon - Is this normal?

Posted by Geekella 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 8:57

I'm growing the sugar baby variety. Every since the little watermelon buds started plumping up after pollination, i've had a couple that seemed to take off and get rather plump

i have one that has gotten rather big but the one next to it got big then stopped getting big....i haven't see increase in size since quite a few days.

then i have this other that is relatively new but it shot up to be BIGGER than the older big one. so it makes me worry that they all SHOULD be growing at that rate, but aren't.

Is this normal? i planted them all 3 sq feet apart like many sources suggested and the ground was fertilized before planting.

Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelon - Is this normal?

If they quit growing they are probably ripe. Mine range from 20-45 lbs so size differences are normal. Are the tendrils at point of attachment brown on any? If so those are probably ripe.

o

But they are still very small and the tendrils are not dried up :(

o

They still have about a month till time for them to be ripe. Try feeding them miracle grow.

o

Plants will abort fruit sometimes at various stages. Is it possible to post a photo?

o

3 sq ft is not enough room for a melon plant. Is that a typo?

o

Charina is right...hopefully that was a typo because watermelons need a LOT more than 3 sq. ft. Its also true that plants will sometimes just abort fruits for no discernible reason. I can also tell you that melon sizes can vary wildly, even on plants planted the same time and location....even on the same vine. Its not uncommon to have full grown ripe melons along side golf-ball sized melons and even on-going blooms, all from the same plants of the same age and location. Its great that you are so excited and closely watching your melon's grow, but at the end of the day all you can do is give some fertilize, keep the weeds out (as best you can), don't let them get too dry, and wait! Some will make it and some won't...its the nature of the plants to have different growth rates/stages/etc. Good luck.

o

Watermelons grow to be big really fast and then they suddenly seem to stop but what they are doing is ripening on the inside.

You'll know they are ripe when a deer comes by and takes care of them for you. You should visit the grocery and learn what plunking a ripe one sounds like then check your watermelons everyday.

Wild animals seems to be able to smell them where as we can't seem to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here