Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cedar Apple Rust?

Posted by Pitcom 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 9:13

I did some searching on this site and I am pretty sure that this is CAR. I just planted 10 apple trees this year. and they have been growing great. However we had some very heavy rains for about 5 days straight and the leaves now have all of these spots on them.

Photobucket

Is this Cedar Apple Rust? About 10-15% of the leaves on every tree has them. If so can someone recommend an organic spray? I see Stark brothers sells a sulfur spray. Anyone use it? Any feedback? Thanks a bunch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cedar Apple Rust?

Yes this looks like CAR. There is no good organic spray and you are too late anyway. Spraying sulphur at the point of initial infection (roughly a month ago) next year will help.

The primary organic cure involves a chain saw, chop down the nearby junipers. I had to remove a beautiful 50' juniper to deal with a CAR explosion.

If your infection level is low it is really just a cosmetic issue. I have a few highly susceptible apples which would get totally spotted but still produced a good crop. Fruits will get it in a severe infection and at that point you have to chop down more junipers or remove apples that are not highly resistant.

Scott

o

I don't even bother with it. Some apples aren't bothered by it much. I see some leaves out there on my trees with it and its no big deal.

o

Yep, that's it. It's usually more of a problem for the leaves than the fruits, which you don't have anyway this year.

Just take this as a warning to do preventative spraying in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here