13 years ago

I will appreciate a reply asap as I need to choose between 2 peaches. Either

a flordaprince or flordabelle. I had ufgold and ufsun. Dug them both up, Very

disappointed in fruits. Hard, rubbery clingstone and un blanchable to loosen

skin. Planted a tropic sweet and am happy. Now---and by the way sunraycer

nectarine is excellent canned with splenda or preserves or chutney:) I want to

know the same about the above 2 peaches plus fresh eating plus size. More

than properly thinned the uf's barely made 2". I was going for the florda belle

because of size but if you convince me flordaprince is better for me I'll go for

it.

Also tell me how to comment on a nursery. I have one myself but want to

comment on another here in Titusville. I also would like to put mine on the

site. Thanks y'all, I'm counting on you. :)

Comments (5)

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

I planted a floridaprince last year. This may not be helpful, because I'm in zone 10 in So. Cal., but we have had a very cold winter this year. The "prince" was very slow to leaf out - however, now with a bit warmer weather, it has grown more foliage, but no fruit set.

I have another dwarf, low-chill peach - Bonanza that likes the climate, producing good set fruit since last year, even though still quite young.

Not much help, but FWIW.

Bejay

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

Flordaprinces are sold everywhere here in so. California, but I have never heard of flordabelle. A short list of peaches and nectarines that have done well for me here in zone 9/10:

MidPride (300 chill hours)
    Red Baron (250 c hrs)
    Tropic Snow-white peach (200 c hrs)
    Panamint nectarine
    Babcock white peach(250 c hrs)

Plus there are a lot of other low chill peaches, look at Bay Laurel Nursery's online catalog for info.

you may want to consider waiting until January to plant bareroot, and you will have more to choose from then in online catalogs.

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

girlbug2 -

I'm interested in adding another dwarf type peach (I think I can squeeze one more in -- somewhere). I would appreciate knowing a bit more about MidPride and Red Baron. Mostly, the Elberta types are appealing to me, but the chill hours are also a big factor, because some winters are so mild that even 300 hours may be a bit too much.

Are these 2 Elberta types? The white peaches seem a bit too bland for my taste.

Bejay

• softmentor
    13 years ago

I'm in CA so this may not be the same for you.
    I have mid-pride and used to have Florida prince. Mid-pride is much better peach, does not tend to be 'tippy' the way FP does. This year the M-P is loaded with nice size peaches. It does tend to twin a little, but not bad and most the twins are still great eating, and kind of fun conversation pieces even if they may not be "market quality" but it's only 5% anyway.
    I also like our Eva's Pride. Wonderful flavor! and has won taste tests at Dave Wilson Nursery. It tends to set to much fruit so you can either have LOTS of little inch and a half size peaches or do some thinning in spring when they are small. Both are low chill, I think girlbug2 said mid-pride was 300 hours, but I only get 100 hours and this last winter not even that, and I get good dormancy and strong growth from both my mid-pride and Eva's pride.
    One trick on very low chill areas. It's important as soon as they drop most their leaves, to go through the tree and take off the remaining leaves so the tree doesn't have any photosynthesis going. this helps a lot with dormancy.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    13 years ago

I have Flordaprince, and although it's tasty for the season, I second the above that Mid-Pride, Eva's Pride and May Pride are all better peaches. I also have Red Baron, and it's an AWESOME peach, I would get that one if you can. Not only is Red Baron tasty, it has the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen, fuschia pink/red color. Here is a link to google images of it.

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=red+baron+peach&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=