Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry Pruning - How do I fix it now?

Posted by Joey_Baghodoughnuts 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 9:22

I think I made a terrible mistake growing my blueberry bush this year. This is the first year, and I am trying to help it to get established. From everything I read, I was supposed to remove all of the flowers this year and not allow it to go to flower and berry. Before I had learned this, I allowed it to go to flower without pruning. Is there anything I can do this year or next to help it?

Should I remove all of the berries and use them to compost it, or should I allow it to go through the whole berry / dormant cycle?

Next year, should I remove the flowers like I would have this past spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry Pruning - How do I fix it now?

Joey:

If your plant has lots of leaves and is growing nicely, you can leave the fruit. If the opposite is true you might want to remove at least part of the fruit.

If your bush grows nicely the rest of this year then let it fruit next year.

The key to getting growth is regular nitrogen fertilizer, proper pH, and moist soil. There has been plenty discussed about this in the past. You can find that info using the search function.

o
RE: Blueberry Pruning - How do I fix it now?

Thanks for the help, fruitnut. I think I'm going to let it fruit for the rest of the season, as it has a lot of beautiful new foliage. Now I just need to keep the birds off of it with some wildlife-friendly netting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here