Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fuyu persimmon - bad shape?

Posted by thomis 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 9:29

Well, I've managed to neglect my fuyu persimmon tree, unfortunately. I've been so tied up with apples and other gardening tasks..
Looks like it has two central leaders, I know that would be a bad thing for apples but should I eliminate one on the fuyu? And do fuyu's get summer-pruned like stone fruits?

Here's a pic:

photo fuyupersimmon_zps194cec8c.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fuyu persimmon - bad shape?

I couldn't see the picture. I also have a Fuyu. I prune it during the late winter and I try not to prune an excessive amount. It seems to work. The only year that I pruned a large amount, all of my fruit dropped. The next year it had a medium amount of fruit.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 12:44

You could cut one side off. That's probably best in the long run. But persimmon are pretty strong trees, or so I've read. My trees have never been loaded enough to test the strength of limbs.

You could also tie the two sides together with a non abrasive material. Just enough to limit the spreading of that crotch.

o

Okay, thanks. I think I'll watch it this year and see how it does. I have to say, I am truly impressed with this tree. I planted it February 2011. It took off like a rocket and I pinched all the blossoms off the first year. Last year I allowed it to produce about 6 persimmons to maturity. This year I picked off and filled up a gallon bucket with nickel sized persimmons. There are still about 50 young persimmons on the tree. I'm impressed. I think it likes my soil ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here