Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drew51_gw

Pineberry advice

this is my 2nd year growing pineberries. I have 3 cultivars. White D produces the largest berries and is a prolific producer. I would suggest if you want to try these, to grow that one. Nourse Farms developed a cultivar, but it is small and requires a pollinator. I would avoid it. Burpee, and another place in TN sells White D. The Strawberry store might too?
I had 2 plants last year, and planted out the runners. I now have around 15 White D plants. Here are a few
{{gwi:109779}}

The berries are near ripe now, and quite large for pineberries
{{gwi:109780}}

Here is the new patch from runners. In the foreground are some June bearers, and the back row is pineberries and musk berries, mostly pine berries.
{{gwi:109781}}

I have 7 or 8 June bearers, and the same amount of everbearing, and alpines too. Some Musk also which i have yet to taste. I also have Mara Des Bois. Many are very good, but for myself, the pineberry is superior.
A couple problems, they hang low, so need to be off the ground, as you can see, i use pine straw.
Also they are extremely hard to tell when ripe! Argh!
They should have a tint of red, wait till the achenes are red to the tip. They should be soft too, but are a little soft when almost ripe. When I think they are ripe, i wait a day then pick them. They taste quite bad unripe. So if it tastes bitter or green, it's not ripe. they are sweet and have a very unique flavor. The snails love them!

Comments (3)