Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries

Posted by C-BUSOH 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 9:40

I just planted a blueberry bush in the ground with a mixture of peat moss, pine needles, and the dirt that was already there. Then i sprinkled some aluminum sulfate around. Should the plant do just fine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries

do you mean ammonia sulfate? If so, hopefully not too much. It can burn a new plant. Other than that....you should be fine. You get better pollination with a second variety close by. goodluck ps- there are many more knowledgeable people than me on blueberries here...you might read the old posts

o

It was aluminum sulfate and i didn't put down a lot. Also i plan to get another blueberry bush if this one does ok. Thanks.

o

I don't like aluminum sulfate. I would have amended with some pine bark fines as well. It all depends on what your native soil PH is and what your irrigation water is like.

o

where should I look for pine bark fines because i couldn't find them anywhere. and i water it with rain water because we have a rain barrel. Also i was wondering how old it is. It is about 3 to 3 1/2 ft tall and has 2 canes growing out of the ground as well has a few blueberries on it.

o

I see a lot of people recommend pine bark, but where Im located you can buy shredded wood for mulch, but most isnt pine. Is there any reason not to use random shredded wood in place of pine?

o

You can find good fine shredded pine bark mulch at Lpwes.

o

several questions answered here....1. pine and fir bark are acidic by nature. These sour the soil (acidify)...which blueberries like. 2. shredded wood is not the same, and breaks down faster than bark 3. C...I think you are going to be fine with what you did. You can fertilize later with MiracleGro for azaleas (acidic). There are more learned bb growers on here...but I know the basics. I can tell you have done some research.

o

Thanks everyone for your help. Also should a new cane come up from the ground every year?

o

Finding the fines can be tough or easy depending on where you live. In the east Walmarts sell them, purple bag just called pine mulch. Out west it is very hard to find them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here