Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahgrower

Need to Identify brand of apricot on fruit cocktail tree

ahgrower Horne
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I live in metro atlanta and I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to get the information on what brand names of fruit I have on my fruit cocktail tree? I have searched the internet and have even went as far as calling the Home Depot to ask which nursery (s) they use to order their fruit trees from. Unfortunately, the customer service reps did not have the answers. (At least the ones I spoke with) I had someone with a smart phone look up the scanning code box that is on the description label and although it gives info about how to care for the tree, it did not have the names of the varieties of the fruit listed. I am really curious because I have eaten red apricots off these trees ( I have 2) for the last 2 years and they are delicious. I want to know what kind of apricots these are. I found the apricot on line and it is listed just as a red apricot (not the red velvet one) but I have searched, and for the life of me, I can't obtain any additional information about this apricot. If some one has any, please let me know. I would really appreciate this. By the way, my fruit cocktail trees are very productive and doing great. I have 3 varieties growing well on this tree, but I have already harvested and eaten the red apricots. I am still waiting on the peaches and nectarines to ripen. The plum graft is growing beautifully, I just don't think it is ready to fruit because it is still in its baby stage. (3 years old) I had quite a few apricots that flowered but we had an early freeze and a lot of them were lost. I ended up with 4 and 2 of them were lost to a storm (they fell off the tree before reaching maturity) and then I was down to 2. The 2 of them that survived, fell off the tree when they were ripe (one day apart) June 15th and June 16th and they were off the chain-simply delicious. Please help me find out what the name of this apricot is. Thanks everyone. I will upload a pic of this tree and the apricot as soon as I can get some help with how to do it right!

Comments (10)

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

"... I had someone with a smart phone look up the scanning code box that is on the description label and although it gives info about how to care for the tree, it did not have the names of the varieties of the fruit listed..."

Take a picture of the description label and them post it on GW and might be able to track down the grower.

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

It's probably a Tlor-Tsiran apricot or a Mesch Mesch Amrah apricot, both are hybrids between myrobalan plums x apricots.

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone, I said that I would upload a picture of the red apricot that I cannot seem to find the brand name of this fruit. I am still surfing the internet with hopes of obtaining more info on this apricot. Thanks for all your help if you can find more info than I have found.

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a better view of the red mystery apricot! Lol

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Looks like a plum to me. I haven't heard of a red apricot. Red blush yes but that looks like a red plum. And it doesn't appear to have any fuzz. Apricots have some fine fuzz, plums don't.

Maybe this is the plum graft, not the apricot.

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Fruitnut, you could very well be right because I have looked all over the internet until I am blue in the face. The label is yellow and it says apricot but who knows? Perhaps the person who put the label on that graft made a mistake but I will say this..when I looked at the inside of the fruit as I was eating it, the pit and the inside flesh looked exactly like a peacotum that I found on the internet. The inside of the fruit that I ate was very light, like it was mostly juice and the flesh was very shallow, not thick at all like the flesh of a plum. It had the taste of a peach and plum together. It was really delicious. Next year, when I harvest again, I am going to send uploads of this mystery stone fruit. Yet, I know you know your fruit so I am going to leave it alone for now and call it a plum! Thanks again, can I see pics of your flavor supreme pluots when they are ready for harvest please?

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Fruitnut, you could very well be right because I have looked all over the internet until I am blue in the face. The label is yellow and it says apricot but who knows? Perhaps the person who put the label on that graft made a mistake but I will say this..when I looked at the inside of the fruit as I was eating it, the pit and the inside flesh looked exactly like a peacotum that I found on the internet. The inside of the fruit that I ate was very light, like it was mostly juice and the flesh was very shallow, not thick at all like the flesh of a plum. It had the taste of a peach and plum together. It was really delicious. Next year, when I harvest again, I am going to send uploads of this mystery stone fruit. Yet, I know you know your fruit so I am going to leave it alone for now and call it a plum! Thanks again, can I see pics of your flavor supreme pluots when they are ready for harvest please?

10 years ago

That's not Flavor Supreme if that is what you're getting at. I'm not sure what plum it might be as it doesn't look like anything I remember growing.

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Fruitnut!, Of course I know that that mystery fruit is not flavor supreme. LOL. Sorry, I just jumped the subject and went on to something else thats all. Fruitnut, I have been reading this garden forum for a few years now. I am a gardener who grows a lot of veggies and fruit and I know from reading GW forum that you happen to be a Master Fruititioner if that is such a word. You really know your stuff! I have seen quite a few of your pics as well and I really would just love to see what your flavor supreme fruit look like this year...I have already decided that my mystery fruit is a plum mistaken for an apricot-end of that story. When you answered my inquiry, I was very honored that you responded. So I am off and on to other subjects. By the way, I want to say thanks to you and all the other gardeners who have taught me many things to incorporate in my knowledge of gardening! Do have a garden stand?

10 years ago

I sell at a farmers market and to a few individuals. That's just to move excess fruit and to cover a few expenses. My fruit probably costs twice as much to grow as what it sells for. Good thing I never set out to make a profit.

Sorry no pictures of Flavor Supreme. The exterior is a motley mix of greenish red. The interior is mostly red and a great sweet/tart flavor. One of the best fruits of the year but hard to set and hard to grow.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert