Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmtaylor_gw

Grafting in Summer??

dmtaylor
11 years ago

This past spring, I acquired about a half dozen scions of different heritage apple varieties to graft onto my existing apple trees. Out of 11 grafts, it appears that perhaps only 2 of them have healed. I broke one off yesterday and am distraught at my poor success rate. However, I also believe I know for certain what I did wrong to improve my success rate in future.

It so happens that I still have extra scion wood of these varieties in my refrigerator that had been collected and kept cold since February/March.

So the question I have is: Have any of you actually tried grafting from dormant scion wood in summer (June/July)? Is it worth a try for me, or would it be a complete waste of time? I know the rule of thumb is always to graft in April or May when the sap first starts running. But could I expect any success at all if I graft with this dormant wood, say, today, June 24 (and assuming I don't screw it up)?? I plan to use whip & tongue method, or the saddle graft method made popular on YouTube by Mr. Stephen Hayes.

Thank you all so much for your insights.

Comments (5)