Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries not growing

Posted by tkhooper 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 10:05

I want to grow blueberries but I'm not succeeding very well. I did a soil test and amended the soil according to the information I was given by my local University Extention Coop. I use a pine needle mulch. And although they have nice green leaves they aren't growing any larger than when I planted them 3 years ago. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries not growing

Hello tk,
What kind of fertilizer is being used?Maybe try a little Ammonium Sulfate. Brady

o

Healthy looking plant, congratulations, blueberries can be a challenge to grow so the fact that you have kept it alive for three years says you are doing a lot of things correctly.

As Brady suggested, give it some ammonium sulf (21-0-0)..........you can either dissolve a tablespoon of ammonium sulf in a couple gallons of water and pour it around the base or sprinkle an ounce (couple tablespoons) around the dripline of the plant and water it in. In a few weeks if you don't see some new growth (light green leaves at tips of branches) then apply again. Once you start seeing the growth then back off the fert....you don't want to overdo it.

RM

o

How much sun does this plant receive and what variety is it? The plant looks healthy but should be much bigger after 3 years!

o

The bushes are in a full sun bed. I will get the fertilizer recommended. I was using the hollytone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here