Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning peaches/fruit bud production

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 10:11

I just hacked one of my peaches (cut out the central leader..it was looking like a Christmas tree). Plum curculio partly to blame (heavy fruit drop). I'm still good to prune trees and still get new wood growth/fruit buds for next year??? I fertilized the tree afterwards and gave it a good soaking.

On another note I think PC was late this year. I had clean plums through my second spray (early May)...sometime after mid month of MAY I think PC was very active here. I would have put another spray down, but I had a lot of flowers starting to open around my trees so I didn't want to kill the bees...I'm removing all flowers near my fruit trees because of this... One of my plum trees has dropped almost all the fruit...*&^^*&(&(*!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning peaches/fruit bud production

Frank! It appears that the nasty spring and warm winter affected all of us. There is nothing worse than heavy fruit drop. Lets have some of that dark chocolate!

o
RE: pruning peaches/fruit bud production

Frank:

I have one Reliance peach in my backyard that seems to have escaped the spring frost. Nice peach crop. I sprayed with Imidan.

The two Reliance peaches at my orchard site 5 miles away got hit with heavy frost so just a lite crop. They too got
sprayed regularly with Imidan and are just loaded with curculio damage to the fruit. I agree the PC population was horrendous this spring. Imidan always did great for me on PC control (unlike Malathion). Not sure what went wrong on those two peach trees. Quite dismayed on the fruit outcome.

The nearby McIntosh had 13 apples on it and no sign of PC
damage. It too was sprayed with Imidan. The only apple I
am still spraying as the rest had too few fruits to bother
with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here