Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying a fruit tree!

Posted by mms08 UT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 10:14

Please help me identify this tree. It's about 10 feet tall and has no fruit, so I'd like to know what tree to plant with it. Neighbors have no idea what the old owner planted, I guess there were two but the other one died. No other fruit trees in the neighborhood that look similar. I think it's a plum or cherry, but need to figure out which varieties To plant with it. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying a fruit tree!

Another picture.

o

Another

o

That bark says cherry to me. I see cherries turning red on quite a few neighborhood trees in the Bountiful area, but I also noted freezes during bloom that appear to have impacted other cherry trees. Freezes earlier in the year may have something to do with the lack of fruit. There are a lot of cherry trees in Utah, so unless you are in a new development area, I'd be surprised if there weren't some nearby.

o

Looks like a plum to me, both bark and leaves.

o

My first thought was plum- almost surely a stone fruit of some kind.

Either way, it's a nice tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here