Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First year bkack raspberry problem

Posted by guate z4 nh (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:25

I have 12 black raspberry plants all with vigorous growth and all but one with great berry production. That one has good growth for next year but the berries are strangely formed or not formed. My question is, should I pull it up and replant or leave it for next year. I lean toward leaving it for next year but not liking the thought of wasted space for a defective plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First year bkack raspberry problem

Is it the same variety as the others? Are they in the same row? How close is it to the others? Does it get the same amount of water and sun?

If it is basically the same as the others in every way (variety, location, sun, water, etc) then I'd suspect something is wrong with the plant.

o

Out of a group of caneberry plants, one can be strange. Perhaps it was shaded unlike the others, or its blooms got repeatedly wet unlike the others, or it is just strange.

One more year would prove it out. Would you replace it with another black-cap?

o

These are all Black Hawk but I'd like to try Allen also. They are all in the same patch so they all get the same sun and rain, But last year after planting, some had an easier time than others so this year some are bigger than others. they are now catching up with each other for next years crop. They're still green and hopefully will ripen some time next month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here