Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pecan spray alternative

Posted by insteng none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 10:35

I have a couple of old pecan trees at my place that are too tall to spray with the zinc spray. I got on top of my roof with a sprayer attached to my tractor that will spray about 50'. Even with that much spray I couldn't reach the top of the trees. I got the lower half well soaked though. Is there another way to get the zinc applied? I've read pecans do not absorp it very well from the roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pecan spray alternative

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 20:33

Soil applied zinc sulfate works if soil pH is less than 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: pecan fertilization

o
RE: pecan spray alternative

Thanks for the link. I will test the soil for the pH. I have a bag of Zinc Sulfate that is what I sprayed the trees with. I dissolved it in the water and sprayed it on as much as I could. The trees didn't produce last year when I bought the place but I think it was because of the drought mainly. This year it looks like they are loaded. I have applied a heavy dose of 34-0-0 fertilizer to them as well. They have probably never been sprayed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here