Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
veary unhappy pomegranate

Posted by john222-gg ms./8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 10:39

I don't know how to fertilize or tend pomegranate.I live in Mississippi there are pomegranates growing right near me that look grate.Mine looks so bad I am ashamed to have a plant that looks so bad all help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: veary unhappy pomegranate

I grew two pomegranates from the seed of a store-bought one almost 45 years ago.... think it must have been the 'Wonderful' variety. During a minus 17 degrees one winter they died back to the ground but grew back up again from the roots & bear every year. They are on a west side of an aluminum shed (lots of hot sun!) & get only the water from an adjoining lawn & nothing else. Just now I see some flowers appearing & though the flowers come over a long period it amazes me that they ALL ripen at the same time! I live at a mile high altitude in a very DRY climate with cold winters. From your posting I guess they must also grow well in the more humid south too.! Wonder if yours is still young yet or do the leaves still have the glossy green/pinkish color? I haven't heard of any diseases that affect the 'pomes here & it has been only in the past few years that I have seen quite a few bearing ones other than mine which may have been the first.

A beautiful (but thorny!) carefree bush here that seems to also like the area where I now have a fig 'tree' (bush) that has survived many a freezing winter also. Hope your 'pome recovers in time for some blossoms!

o

scuff up and remove all the grass under the tree canopy and put composted wood mulch down. That grass is stealing too much water and nutrients from your young tree. Fertilization is less important than reducing competition but a small amount of fertilizer would also be good, say one cup of 10-10-10.

Scott

o

Scott, I thank you for the info I will remove the grass but I can't use wood mulch I have bad bad problems with black ants, they love wood mulch.

o

Maybe use compost instead? Or just use rocks, anything to keep the weeds from coming back.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here