Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I garden in old coal bed?

Posted by riverman1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 10:41

Guys on my property is an area that for many years was used to store coal to heat the house. The area is maybe 15 feet long and 10 feet wide. I removed most of the large surface chunks but there is still a significant amount of smaller pieces. Coal may have been stored here for several decades, I don't know. My question is if I get most out then put in potting soil where I want to plant can I get anything to grow?

Thx

RM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I garden in old coal bed?

Don't see why not...i'd throw a bunch of mulch right over the top of it... Are we talking trees here or lettuce?

o

I was thinking berry plants, maybe raspberries, boysenberries

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 12:57

I won't be afraid of coal at all. It's basically carbon. Highly compacted peat. Not really that different from the organic fraction in those highly fertile black soils in the Midwest.

o

All depends on where the coal came from. some coal develops relatively high levels of some heavy metals.

Additionally there can be minerals such as pyrite that when exposed to air and oxygen make for a pretty strong acid solution...leaching and mobilizing other contents. All of these reactions are surface area related. so fine powders and pulverized material is a bigger issue than chunks.

The problem is when this leachate leaves the highly acidic environment of the coal heap it tends to neutralize rapidly in the surrounding soils and deposit and concentrate the nasty instead of flushing it away.

While obviously an extreme example, The brew coming off the slurry settling ponds in appalachia mining is a pretty nasty mix.

I would be surprised if a small residential holding bin would present issues, but If I were going to grow edibles on it I would ante up for a full soil test to put my mind at ease.

o
Which Comapny are Associated with Coal Bussiness ?

i want those company Link that are Associated with Coal Mining And Coal Producers In Whatever Country...

o

You might also search or post on the soil forum here on gardenweb.com.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here